about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

pattern + project // a new thing banner

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner


This banner was begging for me to make it. No really. It sort of planted itself in my brain and I HAD to make it. And then sequins. That might not make sense, but back in December I found that sequins soothe my soul and I jokingly decided that my new year needed more of them. And so, this banner is here to encourage me, and hopefully you too. I'll explain more at the end of this post, but first, let's do some making!

I've included the pattern for the words "I am doing a new thing", but you could very easily make a banner with your own favorite pattern, phrase, or just about anything. Ready? Let's do a new thing!

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Here's what you need:
Felt
Fabric
Embroidery floss
Sequins
Large skewer or thin dowel rod

Tools:
Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy or tracing paper
Scissors
Needle
Rotary cutter, ruler, and cutting mat (optional, but helpful)
Card stock
Glue stick
Pins
Iron
Utility shears (optional, but helpful)

I Am Doing a New Thing embroidery pattern PDF

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Cut a piece of felt to about 8-1/2 x 10 inches.

Print or trace the pattern onto the Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy or tracing paper, and then embroider the design through the material, centered on the felt. I used six strands and back stitch for the entire design (apart from the french knot to dot the "i". When you're finished, soak away the Fabri-Solvy or tear away the tracing paper.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

If you've soaked the embroidery, allow the material to dry flat. You'll probably want to gently iron the felt.

Make sure your felt is trimmed nice and straight, then fold it in half vertically. Cut a diagonal line from the lower outside corner to about 2 inches up from the bottom along the fold. A rotary cutter makes this super easy.

This makes the little points on your banner, and there's nothing too precise about this. In fact, you could make the diagonal cut the other direction so that you have a point hanging down in the center. Make sense?

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Now it's sequin time! I wanted mine to look like someone had just tossed some at the banner and they stuck that way. How did I do that? I randomly sprinkled the sequins on the banner while it was laying flat. A few of them landed in really bad spots (like on the embroidery, which I didn't want), but most had just the look I was going for. I took a pic with my iPad, and then used that as a rough guide for sequin placement.

To attach each sequin, I used 3 strands of embroidery floss in a blue that matches the felt. You can use glue or the traditional method of sewing these on with beads, but this method works well. Just make sure you have a needle that the floss will fit through, but that will also fit through the center of the sequins.

Come up from the back and thread a sequin onto the needle and down to the felt.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Wrap the floss on the needle two times, then poke the needle back through the sequin and felt. Basically, you're making a french knot that will hold the sequin in place.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

See? Cute!

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Stitch your sprinkling of sequins, and feel very pleased with yourself. If sequins aren't your thing, I'd recommend replacing them with french knots, perhaps in a color that will not compete with the color of your text.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Cut three 3-inch circles from card stock and use glue stick or a pin to attach them to the back of the fabric. Cut out around the circles, leaving a 3/8-inch allowance.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Stitch around the circle with needle and thread. Use a medium-length running stitch. Pull the thread to gather the allowance tight on the back, but without curling the paper inside, then tie a knot.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner
I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Iron the backs of the circles to flatten the gathered allowance, then remove the papers, fold the circles in half and iron them again.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Pin the three half circles along the top of the banner, sandwiching the felt in the circles. The fold of each circle should be about 1/2 inch up from the top of the felt, and the two sides will stick out slightly on the ends.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Stitch around the scallops with running stitch, making sure that you don't go past the felt. You'll want to keep the top of the scallops open so they form a hanging channel.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

If you're using a large skewer, you'll need to cut the pointed end off. A utility shear is great for this.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Carefully slide the skewer through the scallop tabs.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

You can also use the utility shear to make some little grooves in each end. These will help prevent the hanger from sliding off.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Cut a 16- to 18-inch piece of embroidery floss and tie it to each end of the skewer.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner
I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Now you can hang your banner and be reminded of all the newness. The newness? Sure. Let's go with that.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

Now, may I share with you the importance of this banner? Or at least how it came to be?

I'm still feeling this new year, and I probably will for a while. That's good and bad, I think. It might be artificial, but this is a time of lots of "new", and we hear that word a lot right now. It actually started to get to me and in a time that should be hopeful (A blank slate! A fresh start!), I nearly let it get me down.

The blogging world has been sharing all of their goals and their new things that they're working on. They look like they have it all together, and I have a feeling that a few of them actually do. I don't have it all together.

I have moments of doing things well, but most of the time I'm behind schedule, stressing, and starting emails with "I'm so sorry for the delay...". What new things was I going to be working on in this new year? I didn't know, and I couldn't even start to think about that, because it felt like a failure. And then these words:

"See, I am doing new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland." -Isaiah 43:19

They just sort of came to my mind and I nearly gasped. I don't need to worry when I'm not able to do new things in my life. God is doing new things as he always does, and that's far more than enough. Over the next week or so, even as I was stitching the pattern, I heard several other sources make reference to this verse and the new things God is doing and making.

So I'm hanging this banner where I'll see it every day. Because I just have this feeling that I'm going to need to remember every day that God is doing a new thing.

I AM Doing a New Thing Banner

18 comments:

  1. I love this! And your story behind it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this project! If one is a Christian, we could change the I to He as a reminder to ourselves when we are discouraged about something. Also, if sequins aren't your thing, maybe use little bitty doll clothes buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I left mine as "I AM" so the words are as He spoke them, but I considered "He is" too. And yes to buttons!

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful, and I love the sentiment behind it! I'm beginning my year in an almost opposite way- everything Is new or due to change in the next month or so, and I really don't have it all together. To me this verse is an equal reminder that all the new things don't have to be scary, but to embrace them as something good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable. I am already reeling with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this-both the design and your story. And those colors are fantastic! I think I need to do a new thing and jump back into embroidery. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely banner and a lovely story. Thanks again for sharing your talent. I have that DS floral print out on my coffee table being auditioned for its appearance in my 50 States quilt. I have 16 wonderful prints laid out (all but one are DS) and am struggling with using all of them or reducing the number. I can't seem to rule any out, so that may just answer the question!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Ms. Mollie; did you realize you made almost a perfect heart shape with your sequins? Must have been meant to be, close to your heart.
    Vicki
    stardesertnight@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I saw a heart too! I think that's one of those little gifts that God gives as a surprise.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful!

    Thank you for sharing this tutorial, but thank you even more for being vulnerable and sharing your heart through your words.

    May this be a joyful year for you. And, may it be filled with the brilliance of many more sequins.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:53 PM

    We are always learning and growing new things as Follower of Jesus!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous10:48 AM

    What a beautiful project and a great reminder to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie9:44 AM

    Just wanted to say that I was SO encouraged by this post! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love everything about this banner! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mollie, I love this beautiful banner and your heartfelt post. I am in the midst of change and was feeling low and uncreative, your post and banner are MOST encouraging! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cute! I also love the endless possibilities for inspirational phrases. Might have to do one myself now! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love it, Mollie, and a wonderful reminder that HE is always doing a new thing in our lives, even when we don't see it.
    Bless you heaps!
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!