about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // star wars day blue milk coaster

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Do you, like Luke Skywalker, enjoy drinking blue milk? It has long been a beverage of Star Wars legends, but thanks to Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland and Walt Disney World, it's real. And now you can also make your own coaster featuring a smiling felt glass of blue milk.

Star Wars Day (May the 4th) is an important holiday at my house and every year, so every year I share some kind of a Star Wars tutorial here on my blog. Sometimes I make even more patterns throughout the year, and you can find them all here. Don't worry. I'll still be here when you come back.

This year, since I've been making some Disney snacks as ornaments, I thought it would be fun to make something similar. Especially since this is a Disney parks treat. Rather than making another ornament, I made my little cup of blue milk and added it to a coaster. This way you can actually use it while drinking your blue milk.

Now you may be wondering, why would I bring this coaster with me to get a blue milk at a Disney park? The answer is of course that you don't have to. Because blue milk exists and you can get it at your local American grocery store.

Personally, I'll be using my coaster with my coffee or water, even if that isn't very Star Wars-y. Milk of any shade isn't really my thing. But making things is! So let's do that.

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

You will need:

Standard wool or wool blend felt (at least a 4x4 inch square, plus scraps)
3mm thick felt
Embroidery floss
Ruler
Pencil
Freezer paper
Iron
Scissors
Needle
Craft glue

DOWNLOAD THE BLUE MILK PATTERN PDF

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Cut a 4x4 inch square of felt for the top of your coaster and a matching 4x4 square of the thick felt for the bottom of the coaster.

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Trace the blue milk pieces onto freezer paper and iron them onto the small felt pieces. Embroider the face with three strands of black embroidery floss.

I used white for the top and blue for the bottom, but green milk is also a thing, so go with what you like. You could also use this pattern to have chocolate milk or other beverages. Oh, and the face is optional, as always, but I think it's super cute!

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Cut out the two pieces and peel off the paper. Carefully tear it away from around the face stitching.

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Stitch the pieces onto the top coaster square with two strands of matching embroidery floss and whip stitch. You can see how I do it in this video.

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Apply a thin layer of craft glue over the back of the felt square, making sure you get it pretty close to the edges and corners.

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Press the top square onto the thicker bottom square of felt. Smooth it out and make sure that the edges are all even. Let the glue dry.

Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Pour yourself a tall glass of blue milk or grab your favorite Star Wars mug and enjoy using your new coaster. It's better than using the force to avoid rings on your coffee table! By the way, the size of this happy little felt applique is also the same size as the felt ornaments I've been making with other Disney snacks this year. That means you can use this to make an ornament OR that you can use those appliques to make coasters or other fun things! Blue Milk Felt Coaster

Happy Star Wars Day, and May the Fourth be with you!

1 comment:

  1. Hazel Anderson2:37 AM

    Blue milk reminds me of Mr Bean at the laundrette drinking the fabric conditioner.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!