about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

vintage craft // the zero-progress tablecloth

Progress Tablecloth

When you are a maker, you are in a constant loop of starting new projects, working on existing projects, and finishing projects. The reality of this loop, however, is that some projects get left behind. Show me a maker, and I'll show you their unfinished makes. Well, maybe...often they are hidden away!

I come from generations of makers and somehow many of the things they were making have passed down to me. As if I don't have enough of these unfinished objects of my own! Some are treasures, some feel like burdens, and some are too good to get rid of even if you don't know what you'll do with them.

This stamped tablecloth is the latter. And because I love irony, note that this is sealed in its package and the title of the design is "Progress."

Progress Tablecloth

I've decided to leave it sealed for now, but look closely at the stamping and fabric. The edges of the cloth are simply overlock. No fancy hem! And the fabric isn't all that great either. It was made for easy washing so you could use the piece you had just spent all the time stitching.

Progress Tablecloth

The size is 60 x 104 inches, and according to the back, it would use a total of 44 skeins of floss in two colors. Just think of how many cross stitches that would be

I actually really like the design on this, but I'm not sure that I'll ever start it, let alone finish it. Apparently my relative had the same feeling.

Do you have any old projects waiting to be finished?

10 comments:

  1. I think this would be beautiful made up - you could add a crochet edging around the border to cover up the overlock hem! It could be a very relaxing project - no brain work involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...too many to list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, if I had the patience, this would be such a pretty thing to work on. :) I never thought of embroidering a table cloth before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl.... WIP is my middle name. I have so many projects going I can't even count them all. And I'm like you, I've inherited a ton of crafty WIP's that my mom had and I also seem to be a magnet for finding them at antique shops.... and of course, I HAVE to rescue them and take them home with me. I guess I collect vintage WIP's??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh! I am awash in unfinished projects. I love your characterization of being in a constant loop of starting, progressing, and occasionally finishing. I have a needlepoint pillow that my great-great grandmother started. My grandmother passed it down to me some years ago. It's a little motif of roses on a mauve background, and all that's left to do on it is a fair chunk of the mauve. I even have the yarn! I just can't bring myself to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the same with me. I also had some unfinished projects. Looking at them in the cupboard made me mad. So i decided: love it or leave it. So i already finished some but i also left some behind. It feals good. And i can see the end of the road...
    Greetings from germany. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that table cloth! I would love to work on a project like this. Maybe I'll look for something similar at Hobby Lobby or on Amazon...

    I have so many unfinished projects. Some I'll get around to eventually (I just don't have the time right now), but some I came to a stand-still because the directions were confusing or I ran out of enthusiasm for that will probably never get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What on earth was a soil release finish fabric???!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What everyone else wrote! Constant flux of beginnings, middles and ends!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came across a 2014 printed calendar panel I never started... I have tons and tons of other old projects that also need some serious attention, but at least they aren't dated...

    That tablecloth looks like so much fun though! But man that's a huge undertaking!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!