about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: hexagon lemonade coaster

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster


June is here and it's hot outside and all you want is a nice cold pitcher of lemonade. Or not. In the Chicago area, it's still rather cool. Nice, but cool. And the only way you're longing for a lemonade is if you're in an Arrested Development sweat lodge. (Watch the new season on Netflix...you'll get what I'm talking about.)

But sweat is what this project is about. Actually, it's about the sweat that forms on cold beverages in the summertime. We have coasters for glasses, but what about that big pitcher of lemonade or iced tea? You need a BIG coaster for that, and now you can make one!

There are lots of ways to make a little mat like this, but I'm combining my favorite material (felt) with my latest obsession (hexagons).

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Here's what you need (to make the size/pattern I did):

Felt - 2 pieces each about 12x12 inches (I'm using wool blend)
Fabric - 1 piece about 12x12 inches
Felt hexagons - 19 pieces with 1-inch sides (2 inches across)
Embroidery floss
Fusible interfacing (optional)
10-inch embroidery hoop
Needle
Scissors
Iron (if using the interfacing)

A note on felt hexagons: You can cut them out yourself, but Benzie Design sells pre-cut (with precision!) wool blend felt hexagons. Renae from Benzie provided the hexagons for this project, and I love them! The package comes with 36 hexagons and you can choose your colors. Thanks, Renae!

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Place one layer of felt and the fabric in the hoop. It will be tight, so open the tightening screw nearly all the way. As a side note, using a hoop isn't absolutely necessary, but it is very helpful.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Lay out the hexagons how you want them, just to get an idea of spacing and design. There's really no right or wrong way to do this. Mine is pretty big, as you can see it filling the 10-inch hoop, but you can adjust the design and make it larger or smaller if you want.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Remove all but the center hexagon, and start stitching there. Use three strands of embroidery floss and running stitch around the edge.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Continue adding hexagons and stitching around them. For mine, I left just a little space between each shape because I like the blue fabric peeking through, but you can place them right up against each other and they'll look great that way too!

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

After you have all of the hexagons in place, cut around the shape you've created, leaving a 3/8-inch border of fabric showing.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Wait...the back of my work is not pretty? Not a problem. I planned for that! You're going to add another layer of felt to the back of this, but if you'd like to make it a little more secure, cut a piece of fusible interfacing into a circle-ish shape that is smaller than your coaster.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster
Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

If it's paper-backed, iron it to the back of your work, peel away the paper, and iron the second piece of felt to the interfacing. If it's the plain fusible interfacing (like Stitch Witchery), sandwich it between the work and the second piece of felt, then iron.

If it doesn't feel completely secure, don't worry. This is just to help prevent the layers from separating too much.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Cut out the felt around the coaster, leaving a small border of felt showing.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Stitch around the entire shape with three strands and running stitch, close to the edge of the fabric. Because this work will show on the back, hide your starting and ending knots between the layers of felt.

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster
Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

Usually I like to work on projects that I can finish in an afternoon or evening. This one definitely took me closer to a full day (putting together the different times I worked on it). But I think it's worth it. I love this, and look forward to using it on our table all summer!

And although I'm calling this a lemonade coaster, it's also very much like a penny rug. Functional and pretty!

Hexagon Lemonade Coaster
Hexagon Lemonade Coaster

15 comments:

  1. Super cute! I ususally use a ugly trivet for pitchers and vases, but this would be much cuter. I learned about putting something under vases after I put bleach (a tiny amount!) in a vase to keep away the mold, and some ran down the sides of the vase and made a bleached ring on my pretty tablecloth :( I just put a placemat or something over the spot now, but it's in an awkward place. Burned it in my mind forever, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable!! I definitely need to make some of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I love the colours you have picked and the fabric to back it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous7:07 AM

    Nice design,I might do this in black and White :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:07 AM

    it's so pretty! i love the colors.

    Rebecca @ tr[i]b[e]cca

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gah! It's wonderful, I love it and am definitely going to make one, thank you Mollie! p.s. Is it too late to join Summer Stitching? I think I missed the deadline... phooey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad you like it!

      The cost is $8 now, but you can still sign up for the Summer Stitching Club!

      Delete
  7. Oh this is darling!

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely design - so simple, yet so cute! I really like the bright colour scheme you've chosen. It's perfect for the summer. :)

    Leanne at Knit me a cake. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mollie! I'm signing up now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cute and simple idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i totally love the colors of this coaster!

    I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!


    ♥, doro von Hand zu Hand

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!