about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

vintage craft: tiny suprises


Last week I showed off my pretty new (old) drawers. My grandpa made the drawers, but they came from my aunt's house. Aunt Helen wasn't really my aunt, but a cousin to my grandma, and like her sister. A few weeks ago, at age 95, she went home to Heaven. She baked and made wonderful little things, and she was a dear part of our family.

One of the things that I love about ladies like Aunt Helen is the collection of odds and ends that they would keep around. Perhaps it's because I can relate! In the drawers there were all kinds of things, including some old wooden checkers that I will be finding a good use for. But I really liked these old stickers:
Dots, Stars and Leaves
Dots and Stars
Aren't they sweet?

But the best find is in this box:
sequins
sequins
Sequins! And some beads, and even a few faux pearls. Nearly every year when I was little, Aunt Helen made little felt ornaments with sequins and beads and applique. We still have many of them, and they are precious! Finding these was like finding a part of her.
sequins
sequins
Maybe I got carried away, but I had a lot of fun taking pictures of these pretties!
sequins
sequins
sequins
Do you have any family members that make something special every year?

4 comments:

  1. Such lovely sequins! And I really love the stars; they remind me of grade school!
    xo, A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome find! I have my grandmother's old sewing box that I used to love to rummage through as a kid. I really should organize it but the tangled mess of glee is really nostalgic for me!

    I'm hoping to become that family member that makes something every year! In the interest of saving money I baked this year for all the families and added a little crocheted garland to each plate. I thought people wouldn't be that interested but everyone LOVED them & compared them to each other's. So I think a little handmade something is definitely going to be included this year too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh - sorry to hear about your Aunt Helen! :( but these are just lovely - the stars have my heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:11 PM

    My Aunt had sequined soap in her bathroom!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!