about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

ornamentation: cuckoo clock


Welcome to the first day of Christmas Ornamentation! This will be three packed weeks of ornaments, leading right up to Christmas. That might feel a little late for you to still be making decorations, but it's not. Why? Because there's always room for adding ornaments to your tree, garlands, or just around the house. And better still, ornaments make wonderful last-minute gifts and present toppers!

Cuckoo Ornament

Today's ornament was inspired by the Cuckoo! pattern that I sell in my shop. This one is much, much smaller, and has some 3D details on it!

Here's what you need:
Cotton fabric
Felt
Embroidery floss
Thin metal jewelry chain
Pattern PDF

Cuckoo Ornament

Begin by transferring the pattern for the clock body to your fabric, and embroidering it.

Cuckoo Ornament

Cut out the pentagon template from the PDF. Center the embroidered design within the pentagon, then cut out about 1/4 inch around the outside of the template. Cut a piece of felt the same size as the pentaagon template.

Cuckoo Ornament

Pin the pentagon in the center of the fabric piece, then fold over each edge and baste them down. A stitch or two at each angle of the pentagon will hold it. Secure the thread and remove the pin.

Cuckoo Ornament

Embroider the little lines on the felt and cut out the pine cones. Cut two short pieces of chain (about 1-1/2 and 2 inches long), then sew them to the top of the pine cones.

Cuckoo Ornament

Stitch the chains to the bottom of the cuckoo clock.

Cuckoo Ornament

Sew the felt piece to the back of the embroidered pentagon. When you've made your way around 3 or 4 sides, carefully pull the paper out of the center of the pentagon. Finish stitching on the felt.

Cuckoo Ornament

Add a piece of chain to the top as a hanger.

Cuckoo Ornament

You've got an ornament ready for the tree!

I've been making other little ornaments like this, substituting hexagons, and stitching on initials or other small designs (like my Advent Tinies). They are much simpler than the Cuckoo, and are fun to whip up for all of my family members!

Don't forget, all this month you can link up with your own ornament blog posts. Share them here!

18 comments:

  1. Never a cuter ornament I have seen! Thanks for including a tutorial with this, it's something I am adding to my ever growing Christmas craft list now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute ornament! Thanks for the tutorial, I have to try this! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it ! I really do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness- this is adorable! I definitely have to make this. I'm so excited about Ornamentation! :)

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooo I just love this.


    grace
    http://herumbrella.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's adorable! Thanks for showing us how to make it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is the cutest ornament!! what a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm very excited to see what else you come up with mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable!! =) Thanks for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite possibly the cutest Christmas decoration I have ever seen! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you!! this is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely ... I made one yesterday after seeing it. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. All these ornaments you shared on your blog are so cute. thanks!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just discovered your blog (through Feeling Stitchy) - and I feel like I just discovered needle Utopia! LOVE your goodness, and I'm starting on some cuckoo clocks TODAY. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely LOVE all your projects and tutorials. One of my favourite blogs, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohhh that is so cute!!!!! i´m glad i discovered your blog, love all of your projects...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Muy original y sencillo de realizar, gracias por el tuto.
    Buenos días.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!