about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // baby yoda blanket for a guinea pig

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

In the latest episode of the Very Serious Crafts Podcast, we talked about Baby Yoda and the need for more patterns and tutorials inspired by this adorable Child. And in the midst of the conversation, we all arrived at the idea of making a little coat like the one he wears, but for my guinea pig. And well, I just had to make that happen.

The original thought was to crochet the coat, and I actually started to do that. But before I got even a full inch finished, I started to wonder if Lt. Nibbles would like it. And as I sat there crocheting, I looked down at my furry friend who was wrapped in a piece of fleece and knew that changing to a sewing project would be so much better.

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

I grabbed some fleece I had on hand, which isn't quite the colors I'd want, but it's close enough. And I sewed this simple blanket-style coat together in about 30 minutes. With "coat" in mind, I cut some slits for her arms to go through, but she HATES the holes. So while mine has them, I don't recommend it. Besides, she's just as cute all wrapped up in her blankie, while still giving off some Baby Yoda vibes.

If you have a guinea pig who needs to snuggle up like The Child, you can make these at lightspeed. And you really should. This is the way.

You will need:

Anti-pill fleece in two shades of brown
Scissors or rotary cutter/mat
Pins
Sewing machine
Needle and Thread

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

Cut a 10x15-inch rectangle of the darker brown and a 4x15-inch rectangle of the lighter brown. You could also adjust these measurements to make a blanket for a different-sized animal.

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

Fold the smaller piece in half the long way with wrong sides together. Pin the raw edges to wrong side of the larger rectangle on the long edge. Sew along the edge.

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

Fold the lighter piece over to the right side of the darker piece and pin it down. This hides the seam and makes a smooth finished edge.

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

Use a needle and thread to sew down the folded piece. You can use large running stitches that go through the dark fabric and one layer of the light fabric. My stitches were about 1/4" long. Secure the end with a knot between the layers.

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

Now you can wrap your guinea pig so they're as snug as a Baby Yoda in a rug!

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

They may not love it right away...

Robe  for a Guinea Pig

...but you can appease them with a frog (or perhaps a carrot lightsaber)!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!