about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // guinea pig book bands

Guinea Pig Book Bands


If you follow me on Instagram, you're probably aware of my guinea pig obsession. And the pics I share are just a small glimpse into my crazy. Naturally, I had to make some felt piggies! And they're actually more helpful that the real ones because they wrap around my notebook to keep it from flopping all over the place.

They're already watching over my original sketch for this project!

The felt piggies, or cavies as they're also called, are inspired by my two pet guinea pigs, Lt. Nibbles and Capt. Cuddles. For me, it'll be like having them come with me wherever I go! You can make your book bands to look like my furry friends or customize them to make them like your own.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

You will need:

Felt in guinea pig colors
Embroidery floss
Craft or fabric glue
Elastic
Scissors
Needle

DOWNLOAD THE GUINEA PIG BOOK BANDS TEMPLATE

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Use the templates to cut out the pieces. The PDF tells which pieces you need to cut multiples of. You can choose colors to make the guinea pigs you like. Mine are inspired by my two piggies. You can also adjust the fur shapes if you want.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Cut two slits in the body pieces. To do this, hold the template in front of the felt piece and fold it in half so you can cut on the line. Just don't cut so far that you cut to the edge.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Embroider the faces. I used six strands and french knots for the eyes and three strands with back stitch and scallop stitches for the noses and mouths.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Use craft or fabric glue to attach the pieces to the front body piece (the one without the slits). Glue one ear to the front and the second ear to the back of the body piece.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Cut a piece of elastic that is long enough to fit around your book, plus a bit extra. This can vary depending on the book size and how much stretch there is in the elastic, but it's better to cut it a little too long than too short.

For fold-over elastic that goes around a standard composition book, I used a 17-inch piece of elastic.

Slide the elastic through the slits in the back body piece.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Tie a knot in the two ends of the elastic. This is where you can adjust the size a bit if you find that it's a little too long.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Glue around the edge of the back piece. Don't let the glue get near the elastic because it's best to let that have some movement.

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Attach the front piece to the back and let it all dry. Then it's ready to slide around your book and hold everything together! You could even use this as a headband for a child. (I'm not quite so obsessed that I'll be wearing one...yet)

Guinea Pig Book Bands

Are those the cutest little helpers? The truth is, even if these don't hold a single thing in my notebook, I'm happy to have them hanging around. I'd keep my real piggies around me all the time too, but the felt version poops a LOT less.

Yes, that's gross, but it's how guinea pig life goes!

7 comments:

  1. How fun are these! Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, they are just too cute! Great back to school project! I'd love to invite you to submit your DIY to our site! We publish projects such as yours in a dedicated post and share/pin/tweet them many times! Find the submission link in the top menu! www.diy-crush.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG these are the most adorable ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG these are the most adorable ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guinea pigs approve of this project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They really are so sweet aren't they? Great little friends to keep you company whilst studying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for posting this! We just used the template to make the bookmarks as a craft for a tween birthday party- so cute.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!