about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

some relaxing stitches

Relaxing Quilting

I had on my mind three things: a book mark (for Book Month!), stitching without a guide or pattern, and quilting. The quilting is a style that I've seen many times before, and wouldn't you know? I can't find my reference for what this style is called. I'm pretty sure that it's common in Japanese quilting and may even be related to sashiko. But don't quote me on that. In fact, if you can help me out with a link or two to projects that use this look of quilting, please do.

What I have here is a layer of linen, a layer of cotton batting, and a layer of quilting cotton. Basically, I wanted to just stitch these layers together with a bunch of rows of running stitch, and that's what I've been doing. It feels like I'm stitching through butter. Well, better, probably, because it's less greasy.

Relaxing Quilting
Relaxing Quilting

It's a small piece, and once I got started, I realized that the book mark probably wasn't going to happen. It just didn't quite work for what I had in my mind. So I thought, well, it's Book Month...could I create a little book with a quilted cloth cover? I could make another similar piece for the back! But that didn't feel right either.

I'm now leaning towards making a second piece and creating a little zipper pouch with linen on one side, and the quilting cotton on the other (with one of each on the inside as lining too). Why that way? Because I'm so in love with this quilting cotton! (It's from JoAnn, by the way.)

Relaxing Quilting

Seriously, this is the most relaxing stitching I've ever done. After I figure out how I'll use this piece, I will start another chunk of this simple quilting, and I'll probably keep going. This process is joyful to me. Try it. Even if you don't make it into anything, a little stitching is good for the soul.

12 comments:

  1. I love this! I have seen this is fiber art pieces too-looks calming to stitch

    ReplyDelete
  2. so gorgeous! why make anything why not just frame it? :) so visually satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

    -Becca
    Ladyface Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it-there's something so relaxing about doing something with my hands-love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooh, love it Mollie! You could make a little fabric bowl?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this and how it's OK not to make anything in the end. It's about the process, not necessarily the result.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This isn't technically sashiko, but it is so similar, I usually refer to is as such. The Purl Bee has a great tutorial on the basics of it. http://www.purlbee.com/sashiko-tutorial/
    I also agree that this kind of stitching is very relaxing and wonderful. Love what you've been doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Were you thinking of Echo Quilting? I've only done it once, but it but I found it relaxing, too. It's the method used for Hawaiian Quilting. It's gorgeous... Here's the piece I did: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisasteatime/sets/72157622981303211/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a little different from what I had seen, but wow! That's a really nice affect!

      Delete
  9. I am a quilter in addition to a stitcher and have been thinking of doing "big stitch quilting" on a quilt like what you are doing here. Most quilters aim for teeny tiny stitches, but I like the effect of big stitches using perle cotton too. Here's my favorite example:
    http://blueelephantstitches.blogspot.com/2012/08/wacky.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa6:24 AM

    I am very new to stitching and if I went into Joanns, could I ask where is the quilting cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! They have a nice section, with fabrics of varying price points and quality. You may have even visited this section before and not realized it. This particular blue print is from a collection that are more vintage looking prints...so sweet!

      Delete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!