about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

make: a solar system banner

solar system banner at night
I'm not sure if you heard or not, but my Solar System banner panel won 2nd place in the Spoonflower banner contest! So amazing! My fabric that I ordered came in the mail right around when they announced the top 10, but I just finally got my banner all made. If you'd like to make one too, here's how:

You'll need:
a fat quarter of Solar System banner fabric
a fat quarter of thin cotton batting
a fat quarter of backing fabric
embroidery floss in coordinating colors
11 4-inch strips of ribbon or fabric for hangers
2-1/2 yard length of wide ribbon or braided fabric
solar system banner assembly
1. Layer your backing fabric, batting and panel, then pin the pieces. Cut around the planets, just inside the dotted lines.
solar system banner assembly
2. Add hangers to the cut pieces so they are layered between the outside fabrics and the batting. (My hangers are cut from a swatch of this fabric.)
solar system banner assembly
3. Stitch around the planet shapes with coordinating floss. Alternately, you could do this on a sewing machine, but you know me.
solar system banner pieces
4. Do this with all of the pieces, and now you're ready to hang them up.
solar system banner
5. Slide the pieces onto your ribbon or braided fabric, making sure that they are in the correct order (there's a cheat sheet on the fabric panel).
solar system banner
It bugs me that they are in front of a window when it comes to taking pictures, but they look so fun here! And at night they are sort of floating in front of darkness, which is cool, right?

Now, buying a fat quarter from Spoonflower is $11, but a whole yard is $18. Being the kind of person that wants to save money, I bought a yard. (Cost averaging...) So, my family and I were thinking up other ways to use the fabric. Here are some ideas that I may be making as time allows:

- Little stuffed planets (some will be teeny!)
- A playmat that could be used for games
- A large cloth book with appliquéd planets

How about you? Any ideas for other ways to use the banner panel?

14 comments:

  1. I missed that! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats! they are very cute. could see them in a kids room for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:39 PM

    Cute. I think a book about the planets would be great. Of course, I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the 12 days of Christmas fabric I won from you. I am utterly at a loss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I love this so so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great you won 2nd place! I love the little planets;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!
    It's so funny you mentioned the sewing machine, because when I saw the top picture my first thought was, "Wow, she pulled out the sewing machine!" hahahaha
    I love the banner and the playmat idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on taking 2nd place! I remember voting on Spoonflower. Very cool for you. And I think you could applique them on pillowcases or a reading quilt. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I voted for you and was psyched that you came in 2nd (although I was hoping for 1st). I've decided to follow your thrifty suggestion and purchase a yard instead of a fat quarter. I work at a middle school and we study the planets in 6th grade. I'll make up 4 banners, keep one for myself and then let the other 4 science teachers share the other 3 (one is a guy, so he may not want one...).

    I just love the happy little planets!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooh I love the cloth book idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are so freakin cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love love love this! Such a cute thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:25 PM

    I love it! It combines two of my favourite things, science and cuteness ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. rubylynn12:51 PM

    I love this, my two year old is in love with the solar system and we are redoing his room in out space. This will be perfect for his room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love nerdy projects. This one is great.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!