about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

hopefully they'll last until Thursday...

With only a few more baking days left until Thanksgiving, I have officially gone into how-am-I-going-to-get-everything-done-before-the-holiday-mode". I'm in charge of desserts, and have big plans. So far things are kind of on schedule, but my "real work" list is filling up for Monday/Tuesday. But here's where I'm at so far:

Jam thumbprint cookies

These jam thumbprints from the Barefoot Contessa are amazing. At this point, these are the cookies most likely to disappear before Thanksgiving. I've also decided that they will need to be baked throughout the year...they are just too good to save for holidays. You can find the recipe at Food Network.

Leaf cookies

Then there are the sparkly sugar leaves. These are from Wilton's Autumn Blaze cookies, but I used maple extract instead of almond. A good choice. Also, I tried the trick of keeping the cookie cutter around the dough while adding sugar, which was perfect for getting that even coverage.

Sad acorn cookie

Finally, we have these acorns. They're made with the same dough as the leaves. When they were all baked and ready to go into a container, it was pointed out that they looked like they needed faces. Since none of the other desserts would be having faces, I knew that my sister was right. And so, all got happy faces, except this one. And it reminded me of a song that was on an old Wee Sing video (did you ever watch those?). A little acorn sang this song:

I'm an acorn small and round
Lyin' on the cold, cold ground
Everybody steps on me
That is why I'm cracked you see
I'm a nut, I'm nut, I'm a nut, I'm a nut, I'm a nut

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!