about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // easy-stitch watermelon hoop art

WatermelonHoop1


When August rolls around, everyone is talking about going back to school. But I for one am not ready to abandon summer. So today I'm sharing a fast and easy embroidered watermelon hoop. You'll be able to finish it in a day and enjoy it a long while before the season changes.

Despite the fact that it may be a little off-season, when I suddenly thought about stitching a watermelon, I jumped on it. Consider it my way of preserving a little more of the summer. And you can join me!

WatermelonHoop2

You will need:

Wooden embroidery hoop
Green paint (I used plain and glitter)
Watermelon-colored fabric
Brown or black embroidery floss
Paintbrush
Embroidery tools

WatermelonHoop3
WatermelonHoop4

Start by painting the embroidery hoop green. I used a medium green and painted a couple coats so it was even. Next I added a few coats of green glitter paint.

Instead of glitter, you could use a lighter green to add some wobbly lines like you might see on a real watermelon.

WatermelonHoop5

Hoop up your fabric and thread a needle with brown or black embroidery floss. I used all six strands for mine so the embroidery would be bold and show up well.

If you want a face on yours (because it's cute and kawaii!), start with that. Pick a spot and embroider the face with two french knot eyes and a scallop stitch mouth.

WatermelonHoop6

Now, add detached chain stitch (single lazy daisies) watermelon seeds all around the face to fill in the hoop.

WatermelonHoop7

When the embroidery is done, finish off the back of the hoop however you want, and you're done!

WatermelonHoop8

The process of painting the hoop and waiting for it to dry between coats takes longer than the actual stitching. That's how fast this little project is! But it's a great way to hold onto a little bit of summer.

And you could use this same concept to make other kinds of embroidered fruits. For example, you could make a series of different types of melons. Or if you wanted to be a little more seasonal, paint the hoops in apple colors, then use an off white fabric and stitch just a few seeds along with the face. Try it!

Happy stitching!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:07 PM

    Perfect timing. I'm putting together a little watermelon slice-no idea what I'm going to do with it-and plan to embroider the seeds. I hadn't really thought about it, but that little daisy stitch (is that what it is?) is perfect. That open space in the middle is just right for the white streak in a lot of watermelon seeds.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, I love the face. I can't wait to give it a go - it is lovely to see such an easy project!

    Holly from The Art of Being Holly x

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!