about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

on following your dreams and avoiding having them trampled

Blooming

I'm not usually big on inspirational sayings and empowering each other and such. Don't get me wrong. I want to inspire and be inspired. And I want to feel confident and help others feel the same. But sometimes it can get a little cliche for me.

However, I had an encounter that I can't shake off. And it has led me to writing a you-can-do-it-if-you-work-hard-and-follow-your-dreams post. Sort of. Let me share...

I was casually chatting with someone whom I had met only one time before, and the topic of my work came up.

Now, I have a unique sort of job. Mainly because it doesn't fit neatly in a job title. I write, design, draw, take photos, and more, and those things are part of blogs, a shop, and books and magazines. It's not uncommon for me to stumble through telling someone what I do.

On this occasion, I made the mistake of saying that I'm a blogger (which currently is the largest percentage of my work). And the person went on a rant about how that isn't a real job. He was practically yelling!

Thankfully, I kept my composure and was able to explain my work, and he started to understand. Admittedly, this can be an unusual field, and there are many people who blog as a hobby. But the reaction bothered me. Not because blogging wasn't recognized as legitimate work, but because of how he responded.

Here's the thing. I know that I work hard at what I do. I know that I've found success in what I do. I know that I have friends and family who support what I do. I know that I'm pursuing something of value. At least, most of the time I know these things.

Sometimes, however, I feel like a plant trying desperately to grow between rock and brick. It feels impossible. It hurts. It's more work that I think I can bear. Withering feels like the most likely outcome.

Being told that the thing I have poured so much of my life into isn't "real" could have been a foot stomping all over my dreams and purpose. And I don't think he even knew.

So what is this really all about? Two things.

First, and I'm not even sure if I need to say this here to the people who read this blog, but don't stomp on the thing that someone is trying so hard to do. Watch for ways that you may inadvertently undermine their work. Encourage them. Let them know that they're brave for following their dream and see how you might help them.

Next, if you are trying to start something, build something, create something, be it a creative venture, a career path, a philanthropic endeavor, or whatever...press on. If you believe in what you're doing, keep going. Don't let the folks who don't understand stomp on your hopes. And if it feels like no one else supports you or cares, I'll be here cheering you on. Seriously.

If a petunia can plant itself between the bricks on my front port and then bloom, we can do the hard work of traveling a life and work path that others don't understand. Maybe we can even help them understand.

Oh, and one last thing. For me, above all else, I know that who I am is not tied to the approval of the person who denied my work. Nor is it tied to anything else. My identity is in Jesus. That's enough.

18 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your inspiring words. Our 28 year old daughter wants so desperately to have a creative job such as yours. She gets so far and then stops. Each time she gets a little further, but Satan puts a stumbling block in her way and she stops. She has been blessed with so many talents. I hate to see them sit in her idea notebooks while she struggles. I left the room for a moment just a short while ago and came back to see her crying. Your words touched her heart. She has a kindred spirit in you. God bless you for your words and your timing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mollie, I just love and appreciate your hard work, creative efforts, and all around fantastic-ness so much. Thank you for being YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post and esp. your petunia photo. My garden is partially wild. "Grow where you want to" A bird planted.... a large sunflower in my hanging basket....chickadee....no doubt. I love how generous you are with your art and pattern sharing. So thank you....Your blog is a favorite daily visiting place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:28 PM

    Yes,all that we are is of Jesus!
    How thankful to know that! Love your Blog+keep up the good work!
    Joyful Day to you, msstitcher1214@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good, very good your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I SO needed to read this today...thank you from the bottom of my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you dealt with such an uncomfortable situation with grace. I sometimes think such people need to be (gently) asked if they think that their reaction is really something that is nice for them to say? To point out to them that it really makes the situation awkward when they are so mean about your job. To ask them if they really think you are going to want to stay talking with them? These are things I think after I've been in similar situations--I'm not a blogger but do have a "different" type of job that people constantly belittle (I'm a speech pathologist). But then I think, how do I do so without coming across as being defensive (these jerks aren't worth that) or rude myself. Who knows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love what you said!! Keep on doing what you are and you will find joy and reward for sure! Some people just can't help but try to degrade and crush things that are not theirs to love and nurture. I try to be positive for everyone that is carving their own little dream from stone. Bless you and all the loveliness that you create!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not value this person's (who was ranting) opinion, and neither should you. People who offer their opinion on something when you didn't ask for it can usually be ignored! They are feeling the need to be clever, but really they usually show their ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just opened my latest copy of WV and there you were, and now here I am writing you because I am so encouraged by your blog. I too have an etsy but I am struggling with it. I found encouragement in your words.
    So glad I found you....hope to "hear more"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing! I think the better we get at things, the more susceptible we are to imposter syndrome. Your blog is one of 2 blogs I subscribe to, the other is devog.wordpress.com which you also might like, it is a Christian blog :) I have considered creating and selling embroidery designs based on the fact that I love hand embroidery and I draw. It seems though that my best work is freehand drawn on the fabric or designed as I sew so I'm not sure what my next step is here! Any tips? Seems like selling patterns is a much more sustainable way of creating income doing what you love. I'm sorry anyone for a moment made you feel as if what you do so well is not a "real job." It's a lot of work and you're good at it! I'm glad you let Jesus keep you in check :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am retired from a mainstream job that I loved and with age comes wisdom. Do what you love and everything else will fall into place. Without Blogs my life would not be as rich as it is and I would never have learned how to quilt, draw and use my God given talents in the most important years of my life.

    You are a child of God. Nothing can change that. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! Blogs are how I've learned a lot creatively too <3

      Delete
  13. Anonymous7:22 PM

    Dear Mollie, you are a blogger and then lots more. Your work and designs inspire all of us out here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a Princess to the King of Kings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. High fives for unconventional jobs! :) I agree with you, so much, and admire you, so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so brave to do what you do and find joy and fulfillment in it! I cannot tell you how many times your inspiration has cheered me up on a rough day. Truly, we are all blessed by your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing this experience... It was an inspiration to more then one..

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!