about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // mini felt conversation hearts

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts


Do you like conversation hearts? I mean, eating them. Pretty sure I've never been a fan. But nothing says Valentine's Day like a chalky heart with a cheeky message. Right?

My friend Becca and I were discussing the other day (when her husband gave her an early Valentine's Day gift of fabric) that we would prefer fabric to candy or flowers any day. And similarly, felt conversation hearts are way better than the real version.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

I made these to fit nicely inside the Not-So-Lonely Heart Box. They make it happy to have some little candy friends!

These hearts are so simple to make. Read on to find out what I'll be doing with mine after today.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

You will need:

Felt in candy colors
Embroidery floss in deep pink and white (or to match the felt)
Tracing paper

DOWNLOAD THE CONVERSATION HEARTS TEMPLATE PDF

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

Use the template to cut out two felt hearts for each conversation heart you want to make.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

Trace the patterns onto tracing paper, then hold the paper over one of the hearts and embroider the words through the tracing paper and felt. Use three strands of dark pink floss and back stitch.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

Tear away the tracing paper without tugging the stitches. Hmm...my words are a little off center/crooked. Normally this would bother me. This time I'm letting it go.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

Place the second heart behind the embroidered one and stitch around the outside edge with three strands and running stitch.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

One done!

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

And four done!

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts
Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

They look so cute all snuggled into their box. But I'm not sure that everyone (anyone?) really needs a felt box of conversation hearts. So...how about making these into magnets? Or pins? The box becomes the packaging that can also be used for holding other items too.

Mini DIY Felt Conversation Hearts

Mine are staying just as they are, because I think my sister is going to want them to play with her American Girl Dolls. They are just the right size to be cookies!

When I was nearly done with these, I questioned why I didn't put faces on them. It's my big regret of Tuesday. Oh well... next time.

8 comments:

  1. this is super cute! I already loved the box, but now with the conversation hearts, it is even sweeter! I hope I have the time to make some before Sunday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous idea!

    Perhaps something to exchange with a fellow crafty friend?

    Gemma
    Faded Windmills

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your projects. They are simply adorable and always evoke an "awwww that is so cute" from me. Totally agree with preferring fabric over candy or flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Oh and that box. . . super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:46 AM

    Mollie...these hearts are precious! Blessings to you!
    Sue McQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally yummy! I'm out the door to get some felt. My daughter just went through a really hard breakup after a 5 year relationship, and she really could use a smile :) Thanks so much for such an ingenious idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love the little box. I can put my ring and earrings in it over night. Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute! I was given a box of the candy conversation hearts by a friend's son at church last Sunday. When you mentioned your crooked stitches on this project, I took another look at the candy hearts. The printing is crooked on nearly every heart... so a bit of realism in your project isn't a bad thing. My friend attached a small card to the box of candy with some bible verses to go with a few of the sentiments... nice idea.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!