about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

calendar & patterns // hexagons for the month of june



I've found myself choosing monthly shape themes based on the number of sides they have, corresponding them with the month by that number. For example, March (the third month) was triangles, May was pentagons, and for June, I've chosen an English paper piecing classic: HEXAGONS!

This is going to be quite a month. Seriously. In fact, if I had to choose one shape to work with forever and ever, it would most likely be hexagons. When I did my Seasonal Stitching Clubs, they all were hexagon based, and they included both EPP and embroidery, and I needed more of that. Maybe you do too?

In those clubs, members received a new pattern each week for a small membership fee. But I thought, what if June looked like that on the blog...for free? I'll have a few projects along the way, and normal blog sorts of things, but in addition to that, there will be free Hexagon Tinies.

Hexagon Tinies - Rainbow


What are Hexagon Tinies? That's what I'm calling this set of patterns. They are all sized like the Teeny Tinies in my shop. And they are all designed to fit on a 1-inch hexagon (turned either direction).

Oh, and did I mention that there will be a new free Hexagon Tinies pattern EVERY DAY IN JUNE?!? Just stop by and grab your free pattern and then make some super sweet stitched hexies!


I won't be stitching all of them for examples, so sometimes you'll need to choose your own colors and stitches, but that's what makes this fun. When you go to print the pattern, the black frame should be a 2" square. That way you know the pattern will fit in a 1-inch hexagon.

For this rainbow, I stitched it all with two strands of floss, working each stripe in chain stitch, alternating the direction. The colors are DMC 309, 352, 743, 989, 503, 791, 3835, and 310.

And since it's June 1st, we need a new calendar! Download the size of your choice below.


For iPhone 6+, choose the iPad version. To use the iPhone and iPad versions, click the link for the wallpaper you want. When it opens, touch and hold the image until it pops up with the option to save. After you've saved the image, go to your settings, choose wallpaper, then find the image you've just saved.

To PRINT a calendar page (with a place for notes), download the June 2015 calendar page PDF.

Are you ready to get your hexie on? I hope so!

15 comments:

  1. Oh yes....looking forward to June and all the tiny patterns! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun & exciting, thanks Mollie!!! The Seasonal Stitching Clubs have been my favorite :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome!!! I'll be collecting these to stitch later after I'm done with the 50 State Club!! :) Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best idea ever!! Some one needs to host a swap making epp hexies with these little embroidery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also was just wondering what size hexagons are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Whitney! I'm using 1-inch hexagons. (1-inch on each side)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous9:49 AM

    I'm so excited about this month!! I adore hexies! And that calendar is perfection!! Makes me so happy! :) do you think you could do a hexie version of the triangle mug rug? With happy colors and little smiles, it could be so adorable!!

    Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the wallpapers! I love rainbows and hexies to it's a perfect match for me and makes me so happy to look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! Downloaded the desktop background and springified (summfiried?) my desktop this morning. The link for the rainbow only showed it-- has the download expired? Very cute anyway and I'll be collecting for some fun embroidery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For these patterns, I'm putting them up as JPG files so that you can resize them if you want/need to, and so that you could print out more than one at a time (which is tricky with PDFs). Just save the JPG then open them in an image editing software or even place them in MS Word.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the info, but I am a little lost. The images (as png on your page) are as large as the paper. I have no idea how to resize to fit a one inch hexie (or 2" x2" square as you wrote above.) As far as resizing in MS Word, there is a field for changing pixels, but I don't see how that will make a certain size image on the paper. I am sorry to ask administrative questions, but Googling it has so far sent me on a wild goose chase. Do you have a book/magazine article/link you could point me too please? Otherwise, I think I might be better off tracing your images off my screen, and reducing the size manually. :) Thanks for these cool free patterns. You are very generous. I am enjoying my seasonal stitching set from the DIY bundle already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries! The computer that I'm at doesn't have MS Word, so I can't give specific instructions on that. But another option would be Google Documents (in Google Drive). In there, choose insert > image, then choose the image. You can then resize it by dragging the lower right corner until it measures 2 inches on the top ruler.

      I hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Wow, revolutionary, thanks! I had gotten as far as selecting the square and choosing 2" x 2" in ACD See, but it printed up an image that was 9.84" by 9.84", and in red! Learning Google Documents/Google Drive seems much more doable (and useful for the future.) Thanks so much!! I'm off to try.....

      Delete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!