about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: felt pennants for autumn

Autumn Mini Pennant


Updated September 2021

Autumn is here, and I'm ready for it! This project was first posted in 2012, but I still love it. Maybe because I still love the fall season.

To root for this delightful season that is upon us, I've made a little felt pennant. My mom still loves this pennant and pulled it out again this year. Back when I first make this she requested more of these, and ummm...I still haven't made them. But maybe? After all, it involves felt, embroidery and the fall...all of which I love!

If you'd like to welcome autumn and show how much you love this season, why not start with a super sweet felt decoration? But in addition to making an autumn pennant, if you scroll down, there's a set of bonus patterns that feature Halloween and Thanksgiving designs too. Now, let's make a pennant!

Autumn Mini Pennant

Here's what you need:
Felt (I used wool blend)
Perle cotton or embroidery floss
Iron
Scissors
Needle
Tracing paper or tissue paper
Pencil
Pins

DOWNLOAD THE AUTUMN PENNANT PDF

Cut out all of the pieces in the template from felt. Cut two of the long rectangles, fold at an angle as shown in the photo, then press with an iron.

(By the way, I can't say enough good things about ironing the wool blend felt a little before you use it for anything. It just makes a huge difference!)

Autumn Mini Pennant

Trace the "Autumn" lettering onto tracing or tissue paper. Stitch through the felt and paper at the same time. I used perle cotton and the chain stitch, which has a nice "school spirit" sort of feel.

Autumn Mini Pennant

After you've finished the embroidery, carefully tear away the paper so as not to tug the the stitches.

Autumn Mini Pennant

Place the angled strip of felt along the straight edge of the pennant, and place the folded strips in place behind the pennant. Pin in place.

Using a running stitch, sew along the edges of the strip. You should end up catching the folded strips with this stitching.

Autumn Mini Pennant
Autumn Mini Pennant

Sew on as many leaves as you want. I used a few stitches down the center, and I grouped my leaves in a couple spots.

Autumn Mini Pennant

Now you're ready to welcome autumn and cheer it on!

AND for those who support me on Ko-Fi, you can download a PDF to make the Autumn Pennant you see here, PLUS a whole lot more!

The four-page PDF includes the pennant pieces, hand-lettered patterns (Autumn, Harvest, yay FALL!, Boo!, happy HALLOWEEN!, trick OR treat, COUNT YOUR Blessings, and GIVE Thanks), and templates for felt cut-outs (leaves, apple, ghosts, pumpkin, candy, cornucopia and turkey)

GET THE BONUS PATTERNS ON KO-FI

It may be silly, but these really are getting me in the spirit of fall! I think they would look great tucked into a wreath, strung over a mirror, or just tacked up on the wall. Maybe I should get a jump on things, and try to make a bunch for Thanksgiving...

Autumn Mini Pennant

12 comments:

  1. So cute and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Bring on the fall weather! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is adorable! Such a fun project, I might have to make a cute football season felt pennant :)

    http://whiskeybreakfast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of a pennant. :) Aileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love fall so much that my living room is always decorated for it=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way that stitching looks. Very varsity.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:20 PM

    This is so lovely, and your stitching is so unbelievably neat, I'm in awe! =) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! The colors, script-y embroidered font, back-to-school feel, you've got it all going. Nicely done. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, Thanksgiving!! With our krazy Korean family here local, we have kimchee and korean bbq with our turkey. A bit odd for me, who grew up with an adopted family and the traditional turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. Burdock root and pumpkin pie...weird. Anyway, I usually get to do the cooking (the american cooking anyway)for a family in need each year through our church. I always like to include candles, holders, cloth napkins and place setting stuffs too. It is a nice touch and something my family likes to create, and use on the special day. Why wouldn't a poor family enjoy these niceties too? (Goodness, am I getting ahead here since it IS still September?) Do you all do special place settings or decorations for the big Feast? I can't wait to see what hand-made ideas you share for the fall and holiday season!

    BTW, your chain stitch is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad that I ordered the pattern, Mollie (thanks for your help with that). So cute that I'll have to make them for Autumn, Halloween & Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:05 AM

    Love this, Mollie! I wish I would have thought to embroider over newsprint sooner, I would have saved myself so many headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NeighborGail3:25 PM

    So Cute - I love reading your blog and seeing all your cute projects! <3

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!