about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

the importance of keeping doodles and ideas

Idea Journals Through the Years

For better or worse, I tend to hang on to things for a long time. Most of the time they're things that I don't really need, and I've been making my way through them. You wouldn't believe the amount of recycling, junk, and bags of donations going out.

Some things, however, I'm so glad to find. Like my stack of composition books filled with notes, sketches, ideas, doodles, and plans. While I rarely am able to keep up a diary-like journal, I'm constantly adding to sketch journals.

Idea Journals Through the Years

These go back to 2008, I think (not all are dated), and it's always helpful and interesting to look back. I can see how my abilities have changed, how my style has evolved, and how my tastes have shifted.

Seeing what I've done in the past is also good for coming up with new ideas. Sometimes I'll find ideas that I drew up or wrote down, but never did anything with, or I'll be reminded of things that might work for a new project. Plus it's fun to go back.

Idea Journals Through the Years
Idea Journals Through the Years
Idea Journals Through the Years

What I noticed the most as I flipped through years of journals was that the last year or so has looked different. Instead of pages and pages of drawings I see a lot more lists and post-its.

Idea Journals Through the Years

My work and time have shifted and in a way that makes me sad. I miss the days of releasing several pattern sets a month and having so many ideas ready to go. But I also know that it was the work I've done in the past that got me here.

And I love here.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really good at starting note books, but not so good at filling them up!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!