about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: blog hop honeybee candle mat

Bee Candle Mat

I'm so excited to be sharing this tutorial with you all today! First, I'm really loving the project, but I'm also very happy to be part of the STITCHED blog hop! This is a month-long hop, and I'm stop number three! (You'll find the list of other bloggers at the end of this post.) If you haven't heard of STITCHED, it's a collection of online video workshops, I'm one of the instructors, and you can read all about it here.

Now, on to the making! I first saw a candle mat a few years ago, and have wanted to make one ever since. Think of it as a coaster for your candle. Which makes it similar to a mug rug...in fact, you could even use this as a mug rug! It's all hand sewn, but it doesn't take too long to make. My kind of project!

Here's what you need:
Wool felt in two colors
Scraps of yellow quilting cotton
Thread
Embroidery floss
Scissors
Needle
Pins
Pinking shears (optional)
Template PDF

Bee Candle Mat

The template is designed so that you can print one copy and cut it down as you work. So, use the large circle and cut out the felt base. Trim the template down, and use the smaller circle to cut out the next felt piece. I used a pinking shears for this part.

Bee Candle Mat
Bee Candle Mat

Embroider on the little bee. It's made with satin stitch, and two lazy daisies. The pattern is in the template, but it's pretty easy to just freehand.

Bee Candle Mat

Cut out the hexagon templates. Pin one to the quilting cotton, and trim around the pattern leaving a border of 1/4". I find it easiest to make one complete hexagon at a time, so go to the next step, then come back and repeat the process for each hexagon.

Bee Candle Mat

With the pin still in place, fold the edges of the fabric over the paper one side at a time. Take a stitch at each angle of the hexagon to hold all edges as shown.

When you've completed all of the hexagons, carefully remove the papers from the backs.

Bee Candle Mat
Bee Candle Mat

Center the two felt circles together and pin. Figure out the placement of the honey comb hexagons (taking the bee embroidery into account), and start stitching them down. For this I've used a running stitch with all six strands. The stitches should go through all layers to help hold everything together and add some quilty texture.

Bee Candle Mat

Stitch a little running stitch trail from the bee to the honey comb. Again, this goes through both layers of felt.

Bee Candle Mat

Sew around the edge of the smaller circle to finish it off.

Bee Candle Mat
Bee Candle Mat

When ending my stitching, both on the edge and on the honey comb, I made a tiny knot as close to the fabric and under the surface as I could. Then I poked it through the backing felt, pulled it tight, and trimmed. It's good way to hide the knot.

Bee Candle Mat
Bee Candle Mat

The finished mat!

Bee Candle Mat
Bee Candle Mat

Add a candle in the center, and you're all set. I probably should have used a beeswax candle here, huh? Never mind. You get the idea. This is the perfect addition to the gift of a candle...it doesn't cost much, but it makes it extra special!

Now, be sure to check out these other talented bloggers in the STITCHED blog hop!

March 1st: Deborah
March 5th: Paula
March 6th: Jackie (and part 2!)
March 8th: Mollie (you're here!)
March 13th: Cindy
March 15th: Jennifer
March 20th: Kelli
March 22nd: Tracie
March 27th: Alma
March 29th: Ann

Bee Candle Mat

20 comments:

  1. Awww. That lil' bumble bee is so cute. Thanks for sharing this tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pattern, I love things with bees and chickens since we keep them both on our small "farm". I have some sweet bee fabric I've been saving that might need to make it's way into this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mollie,

    This is so cute, crafty, adorable, creative, awesome....you get the idea.
    Thank you for sharing.

    Alma

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so very very cute. Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, this is so cute, Mollie! Love the little bee! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the tutorial! adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mug rug, that's histerical. I've never heard of that before but I would live to make a set for my living room.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super adorable project! I need to build up my felt stash a little, but once I do I can't wait to make a few!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE!!! But I really cannot comprehend how to do that bee...since I don't do stitching. yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the cutest thing ever! Love that little bee.

    ♥ sécia
    www.petiteinsanities.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is so inspiring and beautiful! I am really loving your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is just too sweet for words!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love everything on your blog, and I just wanted to say I think you are so creative! I am embroidering all of your patterns and I love them ALL.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so adorable! Very creative and I love all the colors together. Thank you for sharing! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing your candle mat. Would you believe, many moons ago I made a "penny rug" vest out of Kunin washable felt. It took an incredibly long time to make, and then it was just so bright and colorful, it didn't quite fit my style anymore. I just had it out the other day looking at it, trying to decide what to do with it. Thinking of ways to upcycle it - maybe it will become several candle mats, or mug rugs! Great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! So easy but very different. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so completely adorable! My two-year-old would swoon over this. She is in love with bees. Thanks so much for the lovely idea!

    Emily
    www.BeautifulHelloBlog.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perfect! I have a dear friend in love with bees. This will be(e??) the most perfect gift. I'm so glad to have a blog reader that catches all the posts I miss when I'm away and busy! I love wildolive.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is just the kind of bee we need for the Spring - stitched. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!