about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

friendship week: oversize cross-stitch



Not long ago, I was watching the Wind in the Willows, and I happened to notice a sampler on the wall in Mole End. It's a traditional Home Sweet Home cross-stitch piece, and you can catch a glimpse at 6:35 in this video.

I'm not sure if it was the scale of the sampler (at least in my mind...thinking about these characters/animated puppets), or something else entirely, but when I saw it, I wanted to try making a sampler of sorts.

The first thing I did was download the Home Sweet Home font. In a nice big size, I typed out "My Sister, My Friend." I wanted it to be slightly cheesy as a gift for my sister (my friend!). But looking at the "stitches", they weren't big enough for what I had in mind, while still fitting in an normal-sized hoop.

So I tried a single letter, and made it as big as would fit on a piece of paper. An "A" for Anna, my sister (who has a birthday coming up...good thing she doesn't read my blog!). It was perfect, and so I transferred the Xs onto fabric.

Big X-Stitch 1

It's a little tricky to see here, but the Xs are traced with water-soluble pen. Each is about 3/4".

Big X-Stitch 2

I considered stitching the Xs with a backstitch, or something similar, but I wanted oversized authenticity, so these are just regular cross stitches. Because of the size of each stitch, I really don't recommend this idea for anything that has the potential to snag.

Big X-Stitch 3

All finished, and ready to finish off for hanging.

From Wind in the Willows to cheesy friendship saying to a monogram my sister will actually display, this was a fun process. Next time I might try making the stitches a little smaller, but going with a slightly more complex design. You know...one that requires more than 20 stitches!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:49 AM

    I love the simplicity of the stitch on the polka dot fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you developed the idea! Your sister will love it! I also really like that font! I've been meaning to stitch something in it for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I like it so much oversized! You definitely chose the right fabric for it too.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!