about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

needing my dough...

My little brother used to play this cute Richard Scary computer game, in which the baker pig would say (in an adorable accent), "I'm a kneadin' my dough, I'm a kneadin' my dough, I'm a needin' to knead-a my dough." This has always been a favorite line of mine, and it came to mind yesterday as I was making bread.

When I was little I made bread with my grandma frequently, but this was my first time on my own. I checked out this book from my library, and found all kinds of great recipes, none of which seemed too overwhelming. It's a British book, so some terms and flours are different (anyone know where I can find malthouse flour in the U.S.?), but they have U.S. measurements.

I set out to make Olive and tomato tear and share bread. All things considered, it went quite well. The texture wasn't as fluffy as the picture, and it looked a little wonky. But my flour was a little different, so any imperfections will be blamed on that. But hey, it tasted good!

And speaking of needin' your dough, happy tax day!

Update: After more searching, I discovered that the aforementioned book had a small note on how to make malthouse (also called granary) flour. Mix two-thirds whole wheat with one-third bread flour, plus a small amount of malt powder. Sage and parmesan flutes coming up!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!