about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

when you enjoy designing patterns of all kinds

Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater

My craft portfolio has always been diversified, but I feel it more these days. Especially as move into designing things like my latest knitting project, the Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater.

In one way or another, I've designed projects all my life. It started with wonky sewing projects, Perler bead fails, and a simple scarf idea that still didn't work. As I got older, I've essentially still done all of these things. But now I also make a lot of embroidery and cross stitch pattern, some English paper piecing, and most recently crochet.

Designing a sweater knitting pattern wasn't really in my plan, until I brought home a lovely bundle of yarn from England last summer. And actually, it wasn't until September that my sketch appeared. Still...was I really ready for this? The sketch was simple, so I thought I'd try to make it work.

Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater Sketch

It wasn't until January that I started swatching and trying out my plan. The first swatch was a mess. I had to figure out a better way. But then I found a classic lace stitch pattern that I loved. It's called Crest of the Wave stitch, which is where the title Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater came from.

And so yeah...I designed a sweater.

Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater

Even with the lace hem, this might be the easiest sweater you'll ever knit. You don't have to worry about shaping, there are no sleeves to set in, and the only seams are the shoulders which you graft together.

But the result is an easy-to-wear, easy-to-knit tunic. I love it with jeans, but I have a pencil skirt that I'll be pairing it with soon. It's also light and breezy, so I can find ways to wear it all year.

Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater
Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater

My favorite parts are the hems (I mean, come on...scalloped lace? I'm a sucker for scallops!) and the shoulders. Those little details just get me and make me feel like I actually designed a thing.

Graceful Waves Tunic Sweater

It feels strange at times to share all the knitting and crochet I'm working on these days. I'm supposed to be about the embroidery and such! But I'm simply expanding my needlecrafts, right?

Anyway, that's my story of how designing patterns grew into designing even more patterns. And honestly, there's so much more to come. If you're a knitter or know a knitter, I'd love it if you knit or share the Graceful Waves Tunic Pattern! You can find the FREE pattern at The Spruce Crafts and add it to your queue on Ravelry!

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I love the lacy edge and the drape of the yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is lovely! I really like the lace and scallop hem, too. :) Great job designing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:21 PM

    Just lovely! I have been looking for a sweater just like this for ages. As I grow in my knitting skills, this is absolutely going to be the project I work towards. Thank you so much for sharing your skills and creativity!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!