about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

new spoonflower fabric // hexagon tinies

Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection

The more that my 10-year-old sister gets into crafting, the more she takes notice of the things that I work on. The other day she discovered that making things is actually my job (as in, I get paid to do this!). Then yesterday she looked at the new fabric I just ordered.

My sister: Why does this fabric have faces on it?
Me: Because I designed it.
My sister: How did you do that?

The discussion faded away, but I just know that she is now thinking about what this means for her. I’m fully expecting special fabric requests soon.

All of this to say, I designed some new Spoonflower fabric, and it’s officially available for anyone to purchase. Hooray!

Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection
Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection

The collection came about because I was thinking about how great it would be to have some super cute kawaii low-volume fabric. I never seem to choose low-volume when stash-building, and when I do, it’s usually pretty basic.

Then it occurred to me that I could design my own! So I started with the Hexagon Tinies that I designed in June. And since I entirely agree with Stacey’s Cute Tip that making things rainbow is cute, I chose a rainbow palette.

And there’s some gray in there too for a nice neutral low-volume. The houses are my favorite!

Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection
Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection

I scaled all of the prints so they could be fussy cut to fit on 1-inch hexagons…some will fit smaller hexies! And if you’re going to use prints like these to make EPP hexagons, why not have some of the designs actually be EPP hexagons?

Again, these are each in a single color, but with a rainbow of color choices.

Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection
Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection

And while we’re talking rainbows, I HAD to make the rainbow into a mini collection of its own. The full color version reminds me of fabrics from my childhood.

Is it strange to have single-color rainbows? Maybe. But even if it’s in all blue or yellow or gray, it still looks like a rainbow, and that seemed like it could be useful to me. Actually, on all of the gray prints, I think you could stitch over the lines like a pre-printed pattern.

The samples that I had printed are on Kona cotton, so for the most part, Kona's basic white is the color you have for the fabric…just with a bit of color for the designs. I’m pretty smitten with these swatches!

Hexagon Tinies // Spoonflower Fabric Collection

Now, here’s where I need your help!

If you were to order these fabrics, would you be most likely to…

A) Order fat quarters or yardage of individual prints as needed? (You can already do this!)
B) Order a yard that has a small sample of every print?
C) Order a fat quarter or yardage that has a sample of a particular print (i.e. hexagons)?
D) Order a fat quarter or yardage of a particular color (i.e all the reds)?

I’d love to make it easier for folks to buy more than one design. Buying a yard at $19.00 (and getting several designs), rather than than buying separate fat quarters, is more cost effective for you. But to make special panels available, I need to order them first and I want to have options that you want!


Notes on color: I tried to have these photos come as close to the fabric as possible, but all computer monitors are different. Also, take notice that in the rainbow collection, other than the red, the colors are deeper than the other fabrics while still coordinating.

21 comments:

  1. Those are so cute, and you are right, it's fun to have additions to low volume prints. However, I don't know that I would hide these cuties in the background!! I think the one yard with an assortment would be cute and a way to get all them at once or at least see what you think you'd use more of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute. One yard with an assortment would be awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of 1 yard with an assortment on that yard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous, I can't wait to see what you make with them. I'm tempted to buy some and would order FQ and also the yard with an assortment of all - it would make a lovely quilt cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! I love the donuts and the house! A yard that has a sample of every print would be nice! It's great to have low-volume fabrics. I have so much fabric in bright colors and all prints, not many basic (dots, stripes, etc). Need to go shopping! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such cute patterns! And, because I'm trying to limit my buying, I'd love to buy a yard that has a sample of each print. I could definitely see me using them as accents on tote bags, pillows and zipper pouches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shop first! Answer your poll after!! These are to die for!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A yard with all the samples is my first choice! FQ/Yardage by print would be my next!

      Delete
  8. So adorable but we expect nothing less from your talented hands! A one yard assortment would be my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bonnie5:20 PM

    I would love to have a yard with several different prints on it. I especially like the hexagon prints! Fat quarters are the next best idea. The prints are all adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fantastic! Love the idea of a yard with all the prints on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!! Great! Happy to found these!
    Happy days
    Elisabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of a yard with a sample of each print, They are all adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also like the sound of a yard with a sample of each print :)
    Inspiration hit me a few weeks ago regarding making my own fabric, but I didn't know where to start! This helps a lot! What programme do you use to design the print first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spoonflower is incredible! I work in Adobe Illustrator, but the Spoonflower website has good helps for other options. They also have a book coming out soon that is supposed to have instructions and resources.

      Delete
  14. At first, I would probably want the full yard with a sample of all prints; after that, I would still be buying specific prints by the yard, as I don't normally purchase pre-cuts.

    I have this thing about running short of fabric for a project, so this is what I do. If I need, say - half a yard - I buy the full yard. If I need 1.25 yards, I usually buy 2 yards. If the price is particularly high or my finances particularly tight, I do sometimes purchase by the half yard, but still rounded up to the next half yard above my estimated need. In my second example, I might purchase 1.5 yards of higher-priced fabric.

    Keeping in mind the shape and size of my pieces, grain lines, etc. I try to cut for best fabric usage and save all scraps larger than 1 inch by 1 inch for another project. Anything smaller, I'll either toss in the trash if I don't have an immediate need, or use it for stuffing. So, I especially like the way you designed every print so that fussy cuts could be made with minimal waste of the fabric.

    I think you're right about the grays, too. They could be a good pre-printed pattern for stitching in anyone's favorite colors. If I had to choose a favorite, I'd say probably the balloon doggie... but I like them all, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and I are the same! I always have more fabric than I really need because I'd hate to run out. I also tend to have strange shapes left because I'd rather keep a weird shaped scrap that might be just right, rather than trim it down to a rectangle that might be just a bit smaller than what I need in the future.

      Delete
  15. I like the option of D to say have all of the reds , or really I need more yellow fabrics, and option B would be amazing too but only if the size of each choice wasn't less than a 5 x 10"

    ReplyDelete
  16. wait your sister is ten?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now she's 12, but yes...we have a big age range because our family came together through adoption.

      Delete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!