about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

making // the pocket party pouch from michael ann made

Pocket Party Pouch

A few weeks ago I saw that Michael Ann from Michael Ann Made was working on a new pattern, and it looked like something I would like to make and then actually use. So you can imagine how excited I was when she asked me if I would like to try out the Pocket Party Pouch pattern for myself!

I was a little intimidated to tell you the truth. This pattern uses bias tape (which I've never worked with before), and it involves sewing through a lot of layers (which I've struggled with in the past). But I read through the instructions and guess what? I did it! In fact, I did it twice!

Actually, this is a little trick I've been using: When making something totally new, make two at the same time. The first is a practice project, and the second is the good one. I do step one for both, then step two, and so on. At the end I have one okay project, and one great one!

Pocket Party Pouch

This is my great one!

The Pocket Party Pouch comes in three sizes (all are in the PDF pattern). I made the medium pouch, which has two pockets inside. Since it's star month around here, I thought star fabric would be a good choice. Plus I'm really into navy right now, and this was perfect.

I hand stitched the binding using my favorite running stitch method. I LOVE how it came out, but I tell ya...it was work to get the needle through in the extra thick places. Still, entirely worth it.

Pocket Party Pouch

The "practice" pouch is a little different. You might spot that it only has one pocket inside. I misunderstood the instructions to start, and thought this was how it was supposed to be. I figured it out before I put it all together, but decided to try it with my original thought.

Pocket Party Pouch

On this one I machine sewed the binding, and as you can see, my precision sewing leaves something to be desired. Blerg.

It was after struggling to get this right that I decided to hand stitch on the second one. Although, I'm guessing that if I had used teal thread my stitching would bother me less. Live and learn.

Pocket Party Pouch

The second pocket on this is placed on the back of the pouch. And I love it here for two reasons. 1) It's good for things you need stowed, but quickly accessible (for example, a transportation card). 2) With directional fabric, it allows you to have the print right side up on the back of the pouch.

Pocket Party Pouch

So here's the scoop: This was a super fun project, and I'll be making more Pocket Party Pouches.

It was easy enough for me to work through without needing to look up any techniques online. But it was really satisfying to see the completed pouch with pretty binding and a smart-looking snap.

Bonus? The Pocket Party Pouch pattern is on sale this weekend for 25% off! Thanks Michael Ann!

9 comments:

  1. so cute! nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:08 PM

    Oh Mollie, I adore them. Bravo as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yaaay! I'm just doing a little happy dance over here they look so wonderfully adorable! I am totally stealing that hand stitching move on the next one I make, it's perfect! You're awesome :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would the large pouch hold a cell phone? These would be great for when you don't want to lug around a big purse but need credit card, drivers license cash and phone. I'm partial to green but that hedgehog is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. I read that one person enlarged it a bit to even hold a kindle!

      Delete
  5. Very cute! Matching (or clear nylon) thread is always advisable when your stitching skills are less than stellar. For those who are able to have their stitching come out very straight, a contrasting thread color can be fun...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing.. Love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!