about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

25 crafts of christmas // buttons


25 Crafts of Christmas // Buttons

I've discovered that I need to work within a loose plan these days, and usually that means I need to give myself the freedom to cancel what I hoped to do. Today in the 25 Crafts of Christmas, however, the loose plan resulted in my making something extra! I love that! It probably happened when I opened the button jar.

The button jar is filled with old buttons. How old? It's hard to say, and their age varies, but I can tell you that I often hold my breath when I go looking for buttons because it just has an old smell that I can't decide if I like or not. Think antique store x 10.

Buttons, new or old, have such allure for me. Like ribbons and stickers, I want to collect them and hold them and have them around...just in case. A button can even inspire its own project, which is how the holly pin came to be.

25 Crafts of Christmas // Buttons

Digging through the button jar, I grabbed some red and pink buttons for berries. If you decide to make one of these, I highly recommend that you choose buttons of slightly different sizes/styles...it just adds to the charm!

25 Crafts of Christmas // Buttons

Grab some green felt and cut out two holly leaves. Iron them in half so you get a nice crease in each leaf. You can freehand the shape, use my template below, or download it as a PDF.


25 Crafts of Christmas // Buttons

Overlap the leaves at the straight end, then sew a few buttons on, stitching through both leaves when possible to hold them together.

25 Crafts of Christmas // Buttons

Stitch or glue a pin back to the back side of the holly, making sure that your stitches don't show on the front. Or, instead of making this a brooch, you could add a hanger to use it as an ornament, or tie it onto a gift for extra decoration!

25 Crafts of Christmas // Buttons

This is such a fun and easy way to show off a few pieces from your button collection! You could even make a mistletoe version to use some pearly white buttons!

For lots more Christmas button projects, try a search on Pinterest for "Christmas buttons" and then try "buttons Christmas". Would you believe that pulled up two sets of results? It's true...and there are good things with each search! I especially like the trees that were made at a crafting party!

Do you have a favorite Christmas button project? Share the link in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. I think my favorite button project is making a garland out of different colored buttons and making stacked button ornaments - in the shape of trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how cute! I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Button love! Really easy and sweet project!

    Happy highways,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love playing with buttons! You can use them in just about any craft and I like to think about the garments they were on...

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank u so much for the great little crafts! they make perfect little additions to an advent calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I'm Becky and I'm addicted to buttons. The Holly idea is adorable. I've made a few button wreaths. Strung buttons on wire, formed a circle, twisted it shut and added a bow on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet! What a lovely idea! I love it when loose plans work out in beautiful ways like this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, thanks for sharing. I have jars of buttons now i have some uses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made one. Easy and really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:11 AM

    I will try to make the Holly Leave today. its lovely idea. Thanks sharing with every body
    thanks again.
    Bali

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the template I have used it to make a holly garland http://snadralovesblogging.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/felt-holly-garland-50-makes-of.html

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!