about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

printable: floss bobbin thread organizer

Printable Thread Organizers


Over the years, I've crafted many ways to store and organize embroidery floss. Sometimes I think that I like the process of making these even more than using them. Now, I'm not going to make some sweeping statement that I've finally found one that I'll use for life, but secretly, I'm thinking that.

A few weeks ago I spotted a post on Hey Porkchop! Amanda showed this card she uses to hold the threads she's using on a stitching project. She made hers with scrapbook paper, which got me thinking that I should make one with a Wild Olive touch. Mine is based on the thread bobbins I've made in the past, but bigger and prepared for holding a bunch of threads and labeling them too!

Printable Thread Organizers

Download the PDF with 4 bobbins. Print the page on heavy card stock (or you could mount it onto thin cardboard), then trim the bobbins. Punch holes along the sides. If you want, you can also punch a hole in the top so you can keep all of your bobbins on a ring.

(Don't you just love how my printer decided to make their faces look blue? I'm avoiding taking it in...)

Printable Thread Organizers
Printable Thread Organizers

When you start a project, or as you're working, place the cut strands through the hole and secure with a cow hitch (yes, I had to look that up...). You can write the color numbers next to each loop, and add your project name at the top if you want. No more guessing, especially when you have colors that are close to each other!

Printable Thread Organizers


As you can see, I'm already putting this to use for Summer Stitching Club colors. There are a few more shades to add, but I haven't started on the blue items yet.

And while I love these bobbins, I can't help but think that there are more shapes and designs that need to be made into thread organizers. When practicality and cuteness come together, I'm a happy girl!

17 comments:

  1. these are lovely! and i'm looking forward to the summer stitching club. :)

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea. these are very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to learn how to stitch so bad! This post just makes me want to more! lol

    This Lovely Little Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are lovely! And they could probably be used in a similar way for catalogueing yarn too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness! Brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:37 AM

    They even make cute little "to do" lists!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:23 AM

    These are soooo cute!! Love the little smily faces! Thank you for the printable!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. elles sont adorables : merci pour le partage !... je cherche des freebies sur le web et je partage mes liens sur Pinterest : je viens d’y ajouter celui-ci !... http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/ (j'ai déjà plus de 14000 liens vers des téléchargements gratuits !)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so cute! Way better than the plain ones you buy at the store! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. delightful--thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous1:20 PM

    Thank you lady, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just wanted to say a big thank you for sharing these. I'm putting together an embroidery kit for my god daughter and couldn't find a way to sort all the little bits of floss in an organized manner. these will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you ! the are beautiful idea !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you ! I Love this idea :D

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!