about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: stitching a lampshade

Stitching a Lampshade


I was very honored when Lamps.com invited me to be a part of their blogger challenge to take a basic lampshade and embellish it into something really special. There was no question...from the very beginning I knew that I would be embroidering on the shade they sent me. What I wasn't immediately sure of was what this would look like.

But before I get too far, I want to point out that this challenge is also a combination contest and giveaway. You can vote for me (please do!) while entering to win a gift card for you!

Back to this lampshade. I'm a bit of a stickler for keeping the back of embroidery as neat as possible, but there's bound to be some jumping between areas. That doesn't work so well on a piece that will have light glowing from behind. I needed to stitch something that would use that light as part of the design.

So I settled on sashiko. When the light is off, the design is traditional (I used a pattern from this book), but when you switch the light on, the back of the stitching shines through, altering the look. I'm not gonna lie, this is a big project requiring quite a few hours and some mighty sore fingers...but I love how it looks. Here's how you can make one too.

Stitching a Lampshade
Stitching a Lampshade

First, you'll need a copy of the pattern to place inside the shade. I taped mine inside, then moved it along as I went, making sure that everything lined up properly.

Use a marking pen that will disappear with time, but test it first to make sure it really will go away. You don't want to get stuck with these lines! Also, be sure that you're marking only as much as you'll stitch before the lines go away.

Stitching a Lampshade

Use a sharp needle to punch holes to stitch through. Try to space them evenly, and take into account how they will get stitched. As I punched, I was counting and saying to myself, "stitch, space, stitch, space, stitch." It mostly worked!

Stitching a Lampshade

Now you stitch! I used perle cotton, working with just enough thread for one scallop. Tie a tiny knot with little or no tail, and stitch back and forth through the holes. You'll need to work back and forth, looking at the front and back as you go.

Stitching a Lampshade

At last, you'll have a beautifully stitched lampshade!

Stitching a Lampshade


While I recommend that you hold the shade up to light as you get started to see how things are showing through, there's nothing quite like lighting it up for the first time!

Stitching a Lampshade

Oh and remember those sore fingers I mentioned? Yeah. Things got a lot happier and easier one I taped my fingers. I told my sister that it made my feel like a hockey player...she said it made my fingers look more like turkey legs. Whatever. This is what we do for our craft!

Now, please, please vote for my lampshade over on the Lamps.com blog, and take a look at the lovely things they have to offer while you're there. Remember you'll be entered to win a $100 gift card!

33 comments:

  1. I love it! Just voted for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's awesome! Such a neat Art Deco vibe, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I voted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great shade - I also voted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks awesome Mollie! I've seen a lot of painting and printing to personalise a lampshade, but never stitching. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It turned out so pretty tho. I was just saying this morning that I needed to spruce up my night stand lamp and this is just the ticket. I'm doing this right away.

    Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:04 PM

    What a lovely job! I love how simple the pattern is and yet it bring such life to the lamp!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow amazing, so clean and beautiful pattern! That shade is a winner :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:03 PM

    Love the shade and yes I went and voted for you!!
    Good luck!!
    Shawn
    smjohns63(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its stunning and very worth the poorly fingers :(
    I've just been to vote for your lampshade.
    Good luck
    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it!! You did a great job! I voted for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much everyone! I truly appreciate your kind words on the lampshade as well as your votes! (Fingers crossed that we win!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love it!

    Sar=)

    www.etsy.com/shop/owleyevintage

    ReplyDelete
  14. Voted for you! You totally should win -it really is my favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh..what an awesome project, Molly! Love the way the thread looks once it's all lit up, too! Classy... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful! Heading over to vote now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! ach!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Voted! I love the sachiko. You made it look like a super expensive shade from somewhere like anthropologie. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! I voted too. Fingers crossed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. So lovely! I voted for you, because your lampshade is definitely the best re-do. Good luck and I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  22. First time to your blog, and to the lamp website. You got my vote! Nicely done- I'm fascinated with sashiko. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow -- I'm impressed by the amount of work you put into it as well as the final product! Thank you for the great tutorial; I now want to embroider my own lampshades! (Also, I voted for you! Good luck!)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cool. I've been thinking about doing something like this to one of the lamps in my living room. It's great to have some tips! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. ohmygoodness! Yours is by FAR the best one over there! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the lampshade, it was a pleasure voting for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. you are crazy!!i love your lampshade! you're getting my vote for sure. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous4:20 PM

    This is gorgeous! And I'm definitely going to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely idea =)
    Thanks for sharing & sorry for your fingers.

    http://edithetvalentine.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. First time stumbling onto your blog-thanks for the inspiration! I voted for your lampshade!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So beautiful and creative Mollie!! Love this!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just voted for you :-). Hope your fingers are better.

    ReplyDelete
  33. WOW this is pretty spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!