about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

we planned ahead...

christmas postcard

As crazy as it sounds, nearly every year for at least the last 10 years we have made our Christmas cards by hand. Yes, it is a lot of work, but we enjoy (almost) every moment. Because of how many we need to make, we are usually thinking about the cards early in the year, and making them by October or November.

This year we decided to do something a little different, but still with a handmade feel. This was the inspiration for the Nativity pattern that designed, called The Stable, which I began planning in JULY. I stitched it up, photographed it, and then made it into postcards.

cards

We printed 250 of them. Our list isn't that large, but we are going to send cards out to the folks on my grandparents' list as well. This way, now that my Nanny is gone, my Papa doesn't have to think about it, but we can still send greetings to their friends. Believe it or not, custom printing these cards wasn't that expensive, and of course, we'll be saving on postage.

christmas postcard back

The back has a short greeting and room for us to hand sign (I offered to have that printed too, but my mom suggested that might look like the card was coming from a dentist's office!), and a space for us to address them, but our return address is already in place (cleared here for web viewing).

I'm sharing this early because I thought you all might find this to be a fun way to send out cards, and there's still plenty of time to do it! I had mine printed with a trade printer (a perk of being a graphic designer), but you can find good prices at uprinting.com, and they frequently have sales for even more savings!

9 comments:

  1. This is such a clever idea and it has that wonderful homemade touch. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are incredible! i love that they still feel handmade, even though they're printed. i'm inspired to make my own this year, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this might just take the place of our family picture cards this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute! i do have to say that at first I thought you hand-stitched all of them and I was in awe!! :-)

    still gorgeous though! good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea! But what to stitch? And the quandary of people wanting to see photos of the kids...I wonder if I can incorporate it somehow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. Off to look for Christmas designs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, found a link to your blog in my google analytics and came to check you out! Love, love your work AND blog. And these cards?? Simply terrific! I also checked out the printing link. Thanks for adding that in. We've been looking for a good print source for my husband's business cards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so awesome! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!