about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project // pentagon mouse pad

Pentagon Mouse Pad


For a family that has fair number of computers, we have a severe lack of mousepads. Seriously, we rarely use one. It used to be that a computer mouse NEEDED a mousepad to work. Now they aren't as necessary.

But when you have an optical mouse and a table mat that is uneven, you start getting frustrated.

I considered buying a mousepad, but then an idea struck and I decided to try making one. Actually, I've now made two of them!

Pentagon Mouse Pad

I've seen mousepads covered with fabric, but I just had this feeling that it would get FITHY in no time. And so I grabbed what has become one of my favorite magical supplies: Pellon Vinyl Fuse. This way you can choose your favorite fabric AND keep it looking pretty!

Ready to make your own? Here's what you need:

Fabric for front: 9 x 9 inches
Vinyl Fuse (or other fabric lamination): 9 x 9 inches
Fabric for back: 9 x 9 inches
Fabric for binding: 2.5 inches by width of fabric
Batting: 9 x 9 inches
Basting spray
Double-sided tape
Perle cotton

You'll also need basic sewing tools, including a sewing machine and iron.

Pentagon Mouse Pad PDF Template

Pentagon Mouse Pad

First, follow the manufacturer's instructions to laminate the fabric for the front of the mousepad.

Pentagon Mouse Pad
Pentagon Mouse Pad

Make a quilt sandwich with the front, batting and backing. Use spray baste to hold them together so that the right sides of the fabric are facing out.

Don't use pins, because they'll leave holes in the laminated fabric. Of course, the downside to not pinning is that you may end up with a mousepad that has a little bit of ripple. Working with Wonder Clips helps a ton.

Pentagon Mouse Pad

Use double-sided tape to hold the template onto the quilt sandwich (again...no pins!), then cut around the shape adding a seam allowance.

At this point, I'd like to say that you can make this any shape you want. Square? Sure. Rectangle? Yes. Hexagon? Definitely. Circle? Of course...just be sure to use binding cut on the bias. I made a pentagon because it's pentagon month!

Pentagon Mouse Pad
Pentagon Mouse Pad
Pentagon Mouse Pad
Pentagon Mouse Pad
Pentagon Mouse Pad

Take the strip of binding fabric and iron it in half the long way. At one end, press the short edge under about 1/2".

Attach the binding strip to the mousepad using your favorite binding method.

I sew my binding to the back, then wrap it to the front and sew it down with perle cotton and running stitch. I found that this worked well because even if I brought the needle through at not-quite-the-right-spot, any hole was hidden under the binding.

But if you attach it to the front and wrap it to the back, that will also work.

Pentagon Mouse Pad

And that's all there is to it! A simple mousepad that is very functional, completely customizable, and easy to wipe off!

Pentagon Mouse Pad
Pentagon Mouse Pad


They're so quick and easy to make, you can make one for every computer! Or every season! Or maybe make one for work and one for home. Or if you work from home, use one for when you're working and one for when you're playing.

I think the point here is that you can make a bunch of mousepads...just because you can!

3 comments:

  1. I've said it once, I'll say it again - You so smart!!! Fusible vinyl - perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the stuff! I just need to keep finding more projects that can use it.

      Delete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!