about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

book review // colorful stitchery

Colorful Stitchery

I've been sitting on a book for a while, and I keep meaning to share it and then I don't know what happens. Actually I have a few books that I'd like to show you, but one at a time, I think. So let's start with Colorful Stitchery by Kristin Nicholas.

You may remember that back in November I told you about the Stitch It With Wool Craftsy class that I took. This book was written by the same Kristin Nicholas that taught the class! Her Craftsy class was focused entirely on crewel embroidery, but her book has a combination of crewel, traditional embroidery, and a few other stitching techniques.

Colorful Stitchery
Colorful Stitchery

The 65 projects (Many are variations on a theme, but that's still a ton!) are divided into sections for cushions, kitchen, bedding, and some extras. All are a perfect way to stitch some color into your home.

Over half of the projects in Colorful Stitchery are pillows or cushions. Up until a little over a year ago, that wouldn't have excited me much, but now I kinda love pillow projects. I especially appreciate how Kristin has let the materials themselves help guide many of the cushion covers she designed. She describes some of these as being mindless stitching projects, which I enjoy immensely.

Colorful Stitchery
Colorful Stitchery

Crewel embroidery is the author's favorite, so there are are more than a few crewel designs (as well as some that have a crewel feeling to me, but technically aren't). The technique uses wool for stitching, and I like how Kristin works both new wool and recycled wool into her tutorials. The potholders would make a great gift, and just how stunning is this blanket?

Colorful Stitchery

In the "extras" category, you'll find some items that work with ribbon, boxes, stationery, and suggestions for even more less-than-traditional stitching.

Colorful Stitchery
Colorful Stitchery

The basics section has tons of information and lots of helpful (and colorful!) illustrations. And as silly as it may sound, I simply adore the divider pages and panels with pretty floral prints.

Colorful Stitchery

As a fun bonus, you can download one of the projects from Colorful Stitchery on Roost Books' website! Just be aware that it is a large file, so you may not want to download it on your phone or tablet. While you're there, check out Kristin's latest title, Crafting a Colorful Home.

Get your copy of Colorful Stitchery from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or your local book seller.

Thanks, Kristin and Roost Books for sending me this fun book!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Mollie for the review of Colorful Stitchery. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book does look like fun. I'm adding it to my Wish List!

    Side Note - Hubby and I were in Barnes & Noble last Friday night. There were absolutely ZERO embroidery books on the shelves! I hope it is because they were sold out!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!