about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

making garlands for the tree

Making Garlands




Some time ago, my sister and I started creating a handmade Christmas tree each year. We pretty much start from scratch, choosing a new theme every year. And although as the beginning of December draws near, I do stress about getting it done, it's one of my most favorite traditions. This year, we are doing something we've talked about doing for a long time: Garlands.

We aren't making any ornaments; we're only doing bunches of garland.

Three of them are shown above, and we're actually still working on others. The top one is crochet, and it's really easy. I'll show you how below. The middle one is from a Purl Bee tutorial. And the bottom is just jingle bells strung on ribbon. So simple, but fun and sparkly!

Making Garlands

Last week I wrote about playing with sequins, and this is what became of them. Well, that was the plan anyway. I spotted these star sequins and decided that they would be perfect. My crochet skills are severely lacking, but I can make a simple chain, and that's what this is. The only difference is that there are these twinkling stars added in along the way.

Here's what it looks like (the one-handed version, since my other hand was taking pictures!):

Making Garlands
Making Garlands
Making Garlands
Making Garlands
Making Garlands
Making Garlands
Making Garlands

Single chain a few inches (I used thin crochet thread and a size 5 hook). Remove the hook and replace it with a smaller one (it needs to be able to fit through the sequins you're using).

Place a sequin on the hook, then pull a loop of thread through the hole. If you do it just right, you can pull it through and make a stitch in the same motion.

Go back to the larger hook, then continue to make a chain for a few inches. I don't count...I just space them however feels right. Some stars are close and some are farther apart.

Making Garlands

Even with the switching between crochet hooks, it goes quite quickly, and I thoroughly enjoy working on it. Give it a try! I guarantee that sparkly sequin star garland will make you smile!

11 comments:

  1. I really do want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! You must share a picture of the tree when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The star garland is really pretty. I'm shockingly bad at crochet but I thin even I may be able to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cute idea....
    Debbi
    -YankeeBurrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:35 AM

    When I was a kid (like kindergarten) we would make a "garland" well, more of a calendar really, but on the first of December, the teacher would give us 25 strips of paper, and we would glue them into a garland. You know one ring through the next and the next etc.... 25 so that at home, we could cut one away every morning and know how many days it was until Christmas Day. I am sure with scrapbooking paper and smaller strips you could make a pretty fancy garland. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe that even I could manage to crochet one of these cuties! Love the idea. Thanks for the instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The star garland looks so tender! Really cute making, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome idea, I will make this! I have the perfect glittery gold thread for it <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. So ridiculously cute! I bet my daughter would love this as well, she's a great little crocheter (if that's a word). Great photos for this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!