about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

book review: craft-a-doodle

Craft-a-Doodle


Jenny Doh is a talented lady. She is an author/editor, but I think of her more as a curator. Why? Because when it comes to choosing exactly the right things to put a book together, this woman is a genius. (I'm honestly not just saying that because she's invited me to be part of a couple projects!) Craft-a-Doodle is the perfect example of Jenny's ability to craft a fantastic book.

This book contains 75 prompts for creating doodles...from simple and sweet to truly exquisite. Some of the artists I recognized immediately, while others I had never seen before. Each artist presents a collection of exercises to get you doodling, and I found it so much fun to try some different styles and techniques. You see...not only are there doodling suggestions, but there's also step by step instructions!

Lark Crafts sent me a copy to review, and from the moment it arrived, nearly ever person in my family started picking it up to flip through it. And as I looked through the pages and looked at my family looking through the pages, I thought...they need to help me out with this review!

Craft-a-Doodle

I pulled out some supplies and spread them out on the table. We all played nice and shared the book as we started doodling, and although I forced politely asked folks to help, I'm pretty sure that we each had a great time! Here's what we came up with:

Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle
Craft-a-Doodle

I love the extra personality that some of these have. Like the last set, which is my dad's. The prompt is to make a simple character self-portrait, but he just went a little crazy. Believe it or not, one of these really does work as a self-portrait. I'll let you imagine which one.

If you love to doodle or are looking to plus up your doodles a bit, I would highly recommend checking out Craft-a-Doodle on Amazon or Barnes & Noble. This book has me thinking that I could actually create some doodles worthy of framing and gifting...and so can you!

11 comments:

  1. I just ordered it! Can't wait to get it and start doodling! I'm thinking this will greatly help me with my embroidery pattern ideas :) Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. I think my kids (8,12,15 & 16) would all love it! Thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome! I love the "daily character" prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a talented bunch of artists your family is! I seriously doubt anything can help my seriously hampered art skills (stick figures are a stretch for me!), but my kids and my nephews would probably really enjoy this. I'm putting it on my list for Christmas! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lovely! Kisses!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow this looks amazing & just my cup of tea, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like I'll be purchasing this book. Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely book and lovely doodles! I like that it seems to appeal to all ages (go Dad!)

    http://somewhereyonder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. The style of some of these doodles makes me think of Ed Emberley's series of books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell your dad I love his self-portraits! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!