about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: felt pennant clip

Felt Pennant Clip


We've come to the end of this week of celebrating the start of autumn, and a week of pennants. I don't know about you, but I've been enjoying making these things! This last pennant project is the one that I'll end up using the most...probably long after winter and spring come along!

I have this small stack of notes and sketches that I've been carrying around, sometimes tucking into my drawing book, and sometimes just keeping loose. You know, the bits of paper with ideas that you can't lose? I finally decided that I needed to clip them together, and the nearest thing was a hair clip. Not ideal, but guess what? It worked!

The biggest trouble was that it left some metal marks on the paper when I removed it. So I thought...what if it were covered with felt? And guess what? It worked! Not only that, my new clip cheers me on!

Felt Pennant Clip

Here's what you need:
Snap hair clip (I used the kind with teeth on the bottom)
Paper
Felt
Embroidery floss
Craft glue (I used Eileen's Tacky Glue)

Place a small piece of paper in the clip, and close it. Trace the clip, and cut it out a little outside the tracing, so that it makes a pennant shape. You can also just cut it out while it's in the clip.

Felt Pennant Clip

Cut out two pieces of felt using your paper template. Embroider a short message onto one of them.

Felt Pennant Clip

Apply glue to the non-embroidered pennant, then place it inside the open clip, on the underside of the top part of the clip. Add a bit more glue to the exposed metal on the top of the clip.

Lay the embroidered pennant on top of the glue.

Felt Pennant Clip

Cut a small strip of felt to go at the wide end of the pennant. Run a bead of glue along the pennant, and add the felt strip.

Felt Pennant Clip
Felt Pennant Clip

Let your pennant clip dry, and then you'll be ready to use it!

Felt Pennant Clip

As you can see, the clip does hold the papers at a bit of a curve, so it's not ideal for all your clipping needs. But it does work for just keeping things together, and keeping them cute!

Also, it goes without saying (which is why I'm saying it...) that these can still be used as hair clips. I might even wear mine to keep it handy in case I need to hold papers as well!

Felt Pennant Clip

Yay for not losing ideas and sketches!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:19 PM

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:20 PM

    Cute Idea!

    http://athaliawrites.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would be great for a Sports Carnival in your team colours! We just had ours this week - will have to make a note to make some for next year.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!