about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

project: yoyo magnets

yoyo magnets

We got a new refrigerator at my house, and let me tell you, it was a big deal. I won't go into details, but just know that people keep pushing buttons (thank goodness the water line isn't connected yet!), opening it, touching it, and admiring the lights that fade on when you open it (I admit, this last one is me).

My mom loves it so much that she declared it magnet free because she doesn't want any scratches. I can't blame her, but I can complain, because I like sticking recipes up on the fridge while I'm baking cookies. Not other things...just cookies. So I came up with a solution. Magnets for me, no scratches for my mom.

yoyo magnets

These easy-to-make magnets are basically a fabric yoyo with a round magnet inside. They are plenty strong, but are completely enclosed by fabric. And they are bright and cute! (By the way, the recipe you see above is super yummy, and probably my favorite cookie!)

yoyo magnets

Here's what you need:
Fabric scraps
Round magnets
Needle and thread

yoyo magnets

Cut out a circle that is about 3 times the diameter of your magnet. (I used a small ribbon spool to make my template.)

yoyo magnets

Fold down the edge of the circle as you sew around it. Use a loose running stitch. Shorter stitches will make the yoyo more bunchy in the middle, while longer stitches make it lie flatter.

yoyo magnets

Before you tighten the yoyo, drop a magnet into the center.

yoyo magnets

Cinch in it, and knot it off. Done! Now, make a bunch of them, because they are fast, and fun!

Day 17 - Last FO You Used
yoyo magnets

Oooh...look at that shiny new fridge!

These came out a little different than I originally imagined because my magnets are thicker than what I expected to buy. But you get what you can get. Flatter magnets would help make the yoyos closer in shape to the traditional kind used in quilting. I'll probably see if I can get my hands on more magnets and make another round of them. You can't have too many of these, can you?

16 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:07 AM

    Clever and cute! I have the teeny clover yo yo maker, and I think it would work just right! Thanks for the idea!

    Monica Fullerton

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable idea! Our fridge serves as our main picture frame for photos. I love the idea of having 100 of these cuties to holding them all up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, those are AHdorable!!! thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. agnes3:01 PM

    so cute! they remind me of miniature dumplings (but way more colorful) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that they are puffy; they look like little candies! Thanks for the quick and easy project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww these are really cute!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! So adorable. :) I need to make some soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:26 PM

    I am obsessed with yo yos! I have turned some into tacks as well. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute idea! I've been trying to think of different things to do with yoyos, this is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:29 PM

    Oh my, how clever is that. Can't wait to make some. TFS Hugs n' Stuff, Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:50 PM

    I like the puffy look too ~ I think I'll make some and maybe glue a small button to the center. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:21 PM

    OOO i madea bunch of them today :D they look lovely ¡¡

    ReplyDelete
  14. Meghan8:49 PM

    I'm 14 years old and I love your blog, Mollie! I'm always trying out different projects I've seen you do. Today I bought some round magnets and tried this out. The result was really cute, though my mom didn't seem super impressed. (Honestly, I just think she would rather I spend my money on some more 'traditional' teenage hobbies, like shopping for clothes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, thank you, Meghan, for reading my blog and making things with my projects! Whether you mom was impressed or not, I am. I think it's pretty great that you enjoy getting creative and not always doing what is expected of teenage girls (not that there's anything wrong with those things either!).

      And here's something about moms. I recently had to apologize to my mom for snapping at her. When I show her ideas or trends in crafting, she'll often say, "oh we did that in the 70s". One day I said, "Oh would you stop saying that! It's still a good idea!" All of this to say, parents have been around longer than us and have seen so many more things than we have...so what's new and exciting to us, they may have already seen, so it's less impressive. It's not a reflection on us as crafters/creators, it's just not as big a deal to them.

      Does any of this mean we should stop? No way! Craft on!

      Delete
  15. Anonymous6:27 PM

    Awesome! I can't wait to try this craft out. That is super-creative! LOVE IT! My parents always encourage me to be creative--on my computer, I'm in the middle of writing a book or two, and I have fun making all sorts of crafts!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!