about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

make: a vintage spool necklace

Spool
Spool

After spotting a basket of old thread spools recently, I've been itching to make some things with them. This pink one was so pretty, I couldn't leave it, and so I started with giving it a photoshoot. Thread deserves to be special, don't you agree?

After that, it was time to make it into necklace, which will allow me to show off this beautiful silk thread all the time!

Spool Necklace Supplies

Here's what you need:
Vintage thread spool
Wire
Buttons
Jump rings
Necklace chain
Pliers (optional, but very helpful)

Spool Necklace

Start by cutting a piece of wire that, when folded in half, is about 3/4" taller than the spool. Thread it through a button.

Spool Necklace

Slide the wire through the center of the spool. (I considered using a piece of chain, but because of the size of the spool center, it wobbled. The wire gives it more stability.)

Spool Necklace

Twist and bend the wires so they make a loop at the top of the spool. (Mine doesn't look as pretty as I would like, but it's okay...it will be fairly hidden.) Use a jump ring and attach a button to the wire loop.

Spool Necklace

If the jump ring is large enough, you can slide the necklace chain through this. If not, add another ring.

Spool Necklace

Doesn't it look pretty? I wore this to church on Sunday, and had nearly a dozen compliments on it. The silk thread has such a lovely shine, and I felt special wearing it. And oh, but I have ideas for more things to make with these spools! I can't wait!

13 comments:

  1. How clever!! I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's so pretty! I just recently found a couple boxes of old silk threads (and buttons!) that belonged to my grandma, I can't wait to see all your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that! I love it. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I couldn't have resisted that little spool either. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! And I actually have a vintage spool that's apparently the same brand. All sorts of ideas are percolating in my head now . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your new blog design!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so pretty! Did you do something special to make sure the thread won't unwind?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:22 AM

    completement idiot...c'est trop lourd et moche!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Thank you so much for sharing this! I have antique spools of thread that were my grandmother's - I plan to make a necklace for my daughter, my aunt and myself for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A first glance I thought it was silk ribbon. If you had empty spools you could embellish the necklace with ribbon.
    Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have a very good blog!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!