about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

printing stronger cards

There are a lot of printables out there, and of course you know that I love making them. A couple of years ago, I was so excited because I got a color laser printer. I thought that it would make my printing everything I wanted it to be...but there was a problem. My laser printer won't print on card stock. Not even the thin kind. I mean, it prints it, but the toner flakes off. Grr.

No card stock?!? How am I supposed to make all of the wonderful printable things that I enjoy so much?!?

But then, an idea. And not only does it give me things printed on card stock, but it makes those things stronger than if I had just printed on 60 or 80 lb. stock. I'm going to warn you...this adds more work. And it works best when you can go outside. Now, here's my secret weapon:
spray mount
Spray mount. This is an amazing item, and I sort of have a love/hate relationship with it. I love what it can do. Everything it holds looks so professional. But I hate that it smells horrible and has a super-sticky over spray. Washing your hands doesn't get this stuff off. Still, it is the solution I needed for my printing woes.
stronger cards
Here's what I do. I print my items on regular, nice paper. As thick as my printer will handle. Then I take a sheet of thick card stock (110 lb. is great).
stronger cards
I head outside and lay my card stock down, then give it a light mist of spray mount. Yes, I'm spraying this in the grass...it holds the stock up nicely. Covering an area with newspaper also works, but you have to make sure that if you're spraying more than one sheet that you lay it down in the exact same spot as the first. Otherwise you'll have a sticky backside (of the card stock...you silly).
stronger cards
Lay the printed page on top of the sprayed card stock, and smooth it out. You have to work kind of quickly, but it's not a big rush.
stronger cards
Most of the time with things like this, I'm going to be trimming them afterward, so I'm not too fussy about getting the edges exact.
stronger cards
Then I can cut out my items and have them be nice and strong.

The thicker your paper and card stock, the better. I haven't tried it, but I have a feeling that you could print on label sheets if you wanted to avoid the spray mount. Although, that would get more expensive. The point is, the doubling up makes a huge difference!
stronger cards
I do this for my bobbins, calling cards, recipe cards...all kinds of things. Now you know the secret for printing on stiff, thick stock!

18 comments:

  1. Love this idea. Does the paper ever start separating from the card-stock at the edges?

    And are you just cutting these out free-hand with a scissors and carefully staying inside the lines? If so, do you have a recommendation for a good scissors to use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a color laser printer that I bought specifically for printing on card stock. I've never had a problem printing on card stock. Some of the thicker ones you have to hand feed but I've never had the toner flake off. It's supposed to cook onto the paper. I wonder if it's the brand you purchased? Odd, anyway you have a good work around going on so good for you for making it work!
    Be careful of that Super 77! It's toxic and will mess up your lungs with a lot of use. Wear a mask even outside.
    I love your embroidery bobbins, too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie: I haven't had any problems with things separating. The permanent hold spray mount holds really well.

    For the bobbins, and unusual shapes, I cut freehand with a pair of student scissors made my Maped. I have the Tatoo kind, and LOVE them...even for fabric. (Find them here, under scissors: http://www.maped.com/en/Office-Scissors-g-11.html#contenu=catalogue&langue=en&uni_id=1) I use a paper cutter for recipe cards and other rectangles.

    sassypackrat: My printer is a Brother, and it's like it doesn't get hot enough to fully bond the toner. Sadness.

    And yes, it is a toxic mess...you'd think they could find a fix for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tip! I struggle with trying to feed too thick paper through my printer at times...this solves the problem.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. those embroidery bobbies are sooo cute, you should see the ugly cardboard cut outs i use.

    I brought a printer too, best purchase ever, i love mine for my ohp work.

    love your blog and all your wonderful hints


    xxx
    sheree

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! I need to find this wonderful spray or its equivalent here now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant Mollie! I was actually just having trouble with my printed bobbins because they were too thin. Problem solved! Thank you!

    xoxo
    Janee
    yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about printing on full sheet transparent label/sticker paper and applying that to the cardstock?
    Love your designs! Thanks for sharing your creativity with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, we love your blog! We have posted your printable floss bobbins in our Facebook fan page :)
    Congrats for your work, its amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:08 AM

    I pinned this! Love your new JUMBO bobbins... I have cut out a ton of the small ones... and I do the same thing with the small ones. I run the entire page through my Xyron adhesive, attach to another piece of cardstock (or even better, a piece of thin cardboard backing) and cut them out. I have always had a problem with skeins of perle cotton fitting on just one regular size bobbin, so these are fantastic!!! Love your work and thanks so much for sharing!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephanie12:26 PM

    Because I am cheap, I don't like to buy cardstock. But I love the thread bobbins, so what I've been doing is printing them off on regular paper,and then glue-sticking that down to junk that I would recyle or throw out-- like mailing folder-- you know the stiff flexible cardboard kind, or cereal boxes, etc. I just stick the paper to the printed side of the cardboard and I have a clean back and a nice stiff bobbin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I love that, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog is so much fun! Very inspiring.

    ♥ sécia
    www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had printed only on 60 or 80 lb stock. I am going to warn you This adds more work. And it works best when you can get out of the house. Now, here's my weapon Password.


    digital catalog printing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:25 AM

      Great post! I do the same thing to strengthen my bobbins. I use several layers in fact! The secret is latex glue. It's smelly and messy, and you have to work fast. This is A LOT of busywork. But the end result is fantastic and long-lasting, the bobbin is very stiff like plastic once dry. I do all my cutting when the bobbins are still drying otherwise it's like cutting wood. That's what it will feel like anyway once it's dry (leave overnight). I like to have my bobbins to look the same on both sides, so I cut and paste two sides (regular paper) to a cardstock "sandwich". Very stiff, very strong, it even held heavyweight yarns without bending even a bit. The layers don't come unstuck unless you didn't apply the latex glue - to avoid this use colored cardstock which helps you see the white glue (yellow, green and pink are good).
      Hope this helps someone :-)

      Delete
  15. Brilliant..I find this wonderful..might helps me in plastic card printing..thanks you share it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is mind-blowing idea's....really appreciating work...its different thanks you share it,i will try on Plastic cards

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!