about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

make: handprint easter lily brooch

Lily
When you were a kid, did you ever make an Easter Lily by tracing your hand and rolling it up and adding a pipe cleaner? If you're a mom, has you child ever made one for you? I was thinking about this classic project, and thought it might be fun to make a wearable, and longer-lasting version of it.

To make a Handprint Easter Lily Brooch, you will need:

White, yellow and green felt
Pinback or safety pin
Green embroidery floss

Here's what you do:

Lily
Trace your child's hand. Or you could trace your own hand. Now, you're going to need to reduce it some. The goal is to have two hand templates, one slightly larger than the other.

I traced my six-year-old sister's hand, and it was about 6 inches tall. On the scanner, I made one copy that was 60%, and one that was 50%. Overall, the final height of the larger one is about 3 1/2 inches tall, which is a nice size for this.
Lily
Use the template you've made to cut out the two hand sizes from white felt. From yellow felt, cut a thin fringe piece, like in the photo, that is about 1 1/2 inches tall. From green felt, cut a thin leaf piece, and a strip that is 1/2 inch wide by about 5 inches long. (My strip was only 4 inches, and more length would have helped.)
Lily
Wrap the smaller hand around the yellow fringe.
Lily
Wrap the larger hand around the smaller hand, keeping it a tight roll.
Lily
Lily
Add the leaf to the side, and begin wrapping the green strip around the base. Overlap it a big with each time around. This is a good time to add your pin, or you can sew it on afterward.
Lily
Carefully add a few stitches to hold everything together. Try to hide them in the overlaps of felt, and be sure to get all the way through the center so that the yellow fringe/stamen is held in too. Alternately, you could use a bit of hot glue to secure everything as you go.
Lily
Spread the petals of the handprint lily and pin on to wear with pride on Sunday!

27 comments:

  1. What a brilliant idea! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:34 PM

    That's so so lovely! Looks really sweet and to have it made from the outline of your little one's hand... just beautiful =) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:01 PM

    My daughter is just 6 months old, so I think it would be perfect to do now with her tiny hands. What a darling keepsake it will make. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so pretty, Mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow that is so cute Mollie! Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo
    Janee
    yellowbirdyellowbeard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVELY! I think they'd be great to sew with kids too then you could have a biology lesson about flower parts. (I know, I'm ever the nerd.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would be so fun to make w/ the 3 year old I nanny for - I am guessing his little hand would work if we just trace it and then make it right away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a cute idea. For kids, or... you know, for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome and looks so easy and cute!! :D Thanks for sharing - I'll definately make this :D

    Love, Katrine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. This is stunning and I was just thinking I wish I had a little something for my mom and MIL for Easter. Better believe I'll be making one for myself, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this idea, Mollie! Going to make one! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much! If you make one, I'd love to see it...add it to the Flickr Group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/wildolive/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Momtrepreneur Crafter of the Day:
    Make an Easter lily keepsake brooch from your child's hand print

    http://barbarasbeat.blogspot.com/2011/04/momtrepreneur-crafter-of-day-make_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so sweet. great idea mollie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's great idea! We've wrote about your tutorial on our blog www.craftreport.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this. My mom is in the hospital having surgery and I think I'll be making her a little bouquet of these with my kids' handprints. I shared it on my blog's facebook page, thanks so much for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just love this! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is absolute adorable. i would have never thought of this myself :)

    thanks for the lovely inspiration dear.

    would you mind if i made a spin off of this project (of course giving credit + link back to you) for my DIY show? it would be a great way to introduce you to panama :)

    let me know what you think hon'

    xo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for this tute! I tried it and blogged about it in French here: http://samuserensemble.canalblog.com/archives/2011/05/25/21201717.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Das ist ja eine tolle Idee. Dankeschön für die Anleitung. LG Hexe

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a clever idea! It turned out beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a wonderful idea. I shared it on our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MommyTrying2SurviveMonday

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous4:04 PM

    A great gift for the grandmas this year! I have two boys (about 2 years apart), so I will trace a hand from each of them and use both together (two different sizes!) to make a single lily. So special! And it will last much longer than the papers ones. I was initially looking for a felt lily pattern or idea to add to the cross I am making (out of twigs) to hang on the front door - I will make some for that too! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Genius! What a great gift for a parent or grandparent!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous12:55 PM

    I love this! What a great idea for mothers and grandmothers. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!