about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

make: felt friends stocking stuffers

felt friends
As a maker of things for presents, I am very lucky and happy that I have three siblings that love little soft toys. My sister Grace and brother Max especially love them and carry them all over. They are 6 and 8, so I know it won't go on too much longer but for now I treasure it. I love that they think it's soooo cool that their sister can make things for them, even if they are the simplest of toys.

I used that to my advantage when making some little guys to add to their gifts this year. They are each only about 4-5" tall, and go together pretty fast. Here's the super simple instructions:

Cut out the pieces from felt. All of the features get stitched on first, then do a running stitch seam around the body, leaving a gap for stuffing. Stuff, then stitch closed.

So, download the pattern, and then take a look:
felt friends owl
I think the owls are my favorites! The beak overlaps the eye piece a little, and I left the bottom edge free. The bottom of the feathers is also loose.
felt friends gingerbread
I made both a gingerbread and a sugar cookie person. You could add more features, but I went VERY simple. The bow is attached with just a few stitches that also are decorative.
felt friends beaver
This is the fun part on the beaver. His tail that flaps about! This is just sewn on at the same time as the main body seam. The ears also get sewn in while stitching up the main seam.

These will get lots of wear, and most likely will look rather sad and pilly in a few months. But the felt was all on hand, and they'll be loved for a time, so I'm okay with it. And then I'll just need to make more. (Is the need for the kids, or for me to be making? ...I'm not sure...) I'm thinking a robot is in order next. Or a hot dog, which Grace has requested on more than one occasion!

Happy Making!

9 comments:

  1. Super cute! i love the beaver and the tail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. adorable! I'm going to make a few of those gingerbread men

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:23 AM

    i love the gingerbread and sugar cookie people! they're sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are absolutely killing me here! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How adorable! What a great stocking stuffer idea. I get so lost on what to do for stockings. I don't want to do sugar or cheap plastic stuff. This is great! Now to see if I can find some time.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i am in LOVE with the little beaver! and his little tail ! omg <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:55 PM

    SO cute! I'm making a Beaver for my sister's birthday, her school mascot is a Beaver and she's thinking of going to OSU (Beavers!) for college, LOL. Perfect! And yes - I love the idea of a hotdog or a robot! Keep up the awesome ideas! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, they are super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Darling!!(:

    I've been searching for such a long time to find the perfect project to do for school. I made myself a beaver, although I was too late to print the pattern, because I had already cut out my own beaver. I'm very happy with him. :)

    Thank you! :)

    -hayley
    www.xfishflakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!