the process has changed...
Remember not too long ago I asked for some ideas to go with a new set of patterns? One of the sets was for a backyard themed set, and when it came down to it, I didn't think it would happen. But then, late last night I couldn't help but draw them up (and stitch a gnome today!).
An interesting thing has happened to me over the last few years. It used to be that I envisioned drawings as shapes of solid color, but recently they've changed to lines. Areas of color forming an illustration felt safe, lines need to be a bit more intentional. But embroidery has shaped my art.
Before, I created an illustration, then changed it over to being an embroidery pattern. Now I tend to start with the embroidery pattern, and then convert it to a full color illustration. If I ever do. Funny how that happened.
(By the way, the set referenced above is "In the Backyard" and it will be available tomorrow morning, along with two other patterns.)
By Mollie Johanson at Wednesday, June 02, 2010