about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

things to do with embroidery...part three...

embroidered finger puppets
I've been working on these little guys for about 2 weeks, but wanted to wait to share them until they were finished and I could show the step by step process. But, oh I love them! These finger puppets are easy to make, and a fun thing to do with embroidery. Again, you could figure this out, but here's the step by step:
embroidered finger puppets
I made my finger puppets out of wool felt. I used my Food Friends - set 1 embroidery pattern, cut out around the pattern, then used that as a pattern for cutting the felt. I wish I had taken a picture of the stitching in process, but...forgot. Basically, I stitched through the paper and the felt, then carefully tore away the paper when I was done. OK, so I added the fill stitching and some details after tearing away the paper. My pattern was printed on regular copy paper, and it does work, but thinner tracing paper is a lot easier to work with.
embroidered finger puppets
When I finished stitching, I cut out a second piece of felt to match the first. You could cut both pieces of felt at the same time, but felt can stretch, so I played it safe and made sure it matched this way.
embroidered finger puppets
I figured out where the opening for my finger would go, and started stitching on one side. Where I started, I reinforced it with a few extra stitches, then continued on with an overhand stitch around the whole thing. Again, when I got to the other side where the opening would be, I reinforced the end.
embroidered finger puppets
Finished!
embroidered finger puppets
And here's the close-up of Stewing Soup. The satin and fill stitching took some serious time...for me at least.
embroidered finger puppets
These little guys are friends, and my favorite part is that they are going to have their own little show on YouTube soon! Now that they are finished, my brother and I are going to work on it together...can't wait!

UPDATE: My brother and I made just one video, and I couldn't convince him to do more. Which is probably for the best. My favorite part is that the credits are longer than the whole scene!

7 comments:

  1. These are so cute! I love that stewing soup and your stitches look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so stinking cute! Goodness....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for the show neither. Great work on the satin and filling stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Great idea--which I am totally going to steal. Great designs. And great stitching--I'm in awe. Can't wait to see the puppet play. There's not enough decent stuff on there my girls can watch with me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a cute idea and the fill stitches on the soup are amazing!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Jenny about your stitching on the soup. It looks amazing. And, thanks for the tip about stitching through the paper. I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are super cute! What a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!