Last week I carved up these stamps, and last night I tried out a few prints. For all of these I used acrylic paint, which I kind of like. But for some of the substrates that I tried...not so much.
This first one on canvas just didn't work at all. I didn't even bother stamping the handle on.
Then I tried it on kraft paper. Again, not so great. But I liked the look of the paint on the kraft, so I tried just painting, not printing:
Besides the fact that I didn't even make it match the others exactly, I feel like this one is just blah. It's things like this that give me feelings of mediocrity.
The good news is that this print on watercolor paper came out really well, I think. The imperfections are still there, which I like, but generally, it has decent coverage, and you can see the texture of the paper.
Finally, on this linen-like fabric...a favorite result. Again, you get the texture of the fabric showing, but it is a nice enough print. The size of this is about 5" square, so I think that it may end up as a patch or a pocket.
I have another new stamp that I am looking forward to carving and trying out with some block printing ink. I'll be eager to see how that comes out, and what other inks I might try. Fingers crossed that the next round of trials come out well!