about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

my new knitting fork

knitting fork

My mom is so great about finding fun crafty gifts for me for Christmas, and this year was no different! I received this lovely knitting fork with a bundle of hand-dyed wool yarn. I've wanted to try one of these since hearing about them, and now I can! It works a bit like finger knitting, also a bit like the spool or french knitting, or a knitting loom, but with only two branches sticking up. It's easy to learn:

knitting fork

You wrap the yarn around the "branches" to form a figure 8, then repeat for a second figure 8.

knitting fork
knitting fork

Pull the lower loops over the top loops toward the center, then wrap another figure 8.

knitting fork

As you work, the knitted piece gets pulled through the hole in the handle. It's not very thick, and I haven't decided how I'll use it, but I know that it's fun to work on, and certainly that gives it potential!

Thanks, Mom!

11 comments:

  1. How fun! I have never seen one of these before... but now I want one. *hee-hee*

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might actually help me learn to knit. Can it make something big or just something thin so t fits thru the little hole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw your PB&J guest post & WOW! It is UNBELIEVABLY clever and waaaaaaaaaay cute!! I'd love for you to link this up tomorrow at my TGIF LInky Party - http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties - I KNOW my readers would love it too!
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see what you come up with! Go Mollie's Mom! What an awesome gift! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a tricotin :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always called this a lucet loom. I use it to make cording for Renaissance costumes. I've heard that they use them to make the cording for all of the costumes at Colonial Williamsburg, too. They are so much fun to use! If you want a small cording, try using size 3 crochet thread, it's the perfect size.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Amy! I'll have to try the crochet thread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lucet as your other reader mentioned. It was used to make cording. If you are a member of Ravelry, there is a group there for people using lucets. It's not a very active group but I think people would respond if a question was asked. I have a very small one that I would love to use more myself but honestly don't know what I'd do with tiny cording. Probably for embellishments or jewelry making?

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!