about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

getting ready for summer...

summer decor

Here I am, blogging again when I should be working. But sometimes this is needed. Besides, I know how much you want to make flags like those above. It would be wrong to deprive you, right?

summer decor wip

On Friday, I pulled out some fabric that has been sitting in my cabinet for like, two years. I bought it without a plan, and to tell you the truth, it isn't the type of fabric that I am usually drawn to. So, I'm not sure what my thought was. Patriotic primitive-ish? Maybe I only wanted some of the prints.

Anyway...I cut the stripes into strips about 1.375" wide. I cut the others into pieces about 3x8". I didn't really have a certain number of pieces in mind.

summer decor wip

All of the strips were pressed in half.

summer decor wip

Then I pinned all of the flag pieces in place in the folds of the strips. I left about 3.5" between each flag. When I came to the end of a strip, I overlapped two pieces and pinned it. And then I started sewing.

In one long run (except when I ran out of bobbin thread...and didn't know...grrr), I sewed the flag strips with straight stitch on the sewing machine. The edges are all left raw, because I want them to fray.

summer decor

They are going across our front porch which is about 40 feet long, so I wanted to have at least 50 feet so I could swag them a bit. But I apparently got a little carried away, because I made it as long as my materials would last. All said and done it is about 72 feet long!

summer decor

When they are actually hanging on the porch, I'll get more pictures. They sort of remind me of a cross between prayer flags and rag curls. Strange combination, I know.

Now the amusing back story. The other day I saw this photo on Flickr, and commented that it seemed like a great way to make flags. Turning*Turning chuckled and informed me that the "flags" were actually quilt pieces. Duh! Why didn't I see that the first time? But it inspired me to make these (although they are a little more complicated than what I first saw). And now, those lovely pieces are a quilt that Turning*Turning is giving away! Head over there and check it out. It really is soooo cute! And who knows what it might inspire you to do!

2 comments:

  1. What's awesome is that you are not the only person who made the flags connection. Several people in comments and emails said the same thing. Love what yours turned into...

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great idea! And now I have something to do with the patriotic/americana fabric bundles I bought on clearance! My limited sewing skills may even be up to this!

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!